GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Green alkanet spike with free bonus weed [1/1] (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/207330-green-alkanet-spike-free-bonus-weed-%5B1-1%5D.html)

Mad Cow 03-06-2013 11:13 PM

Green alkanet spike with free bonus weed [1/1]

1 Attachment(s)
Green alkanet has black roots as thick as your finger which go down a
long way. Dig it up carefully or they break off and regrow. You'll
need gloves as the bristly leaves are hard on the hands.
Twisting lovingly around it is your bonus Field bindweed (Convolvulus
arvensis). If you have *that* in your garden consider moving!
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_Alkanet_1988a.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

sum -r/size 15788/321338 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 38332/233201 entire input file
--
Sue ]:(:)

joevan[_3_] 04-06-2013 02:52 AM

Green alkanet spike with free bonus weed [1/1]

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 23:13:35 +0100, Mad Cow
wrote:

Green alkanet has black roots as thick as your finger which go down a
long way. Dig it up carefully or they break off and regrow. You'll
need gloves as the bristly leaves are hard on the hands.
Twisting lovingly around it is your bonus Field bindweed (Convolvulus
arvensis). If you have *that* in your garden consider moving!
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_Alkanet_1988a.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

Nice photos and good information. Thanks. If I get any on my 2 floor
garden I will do away with them.

Bob Hobden[_3_] 04-06-2013 05:02 PM

Green alkanet spike with free bonus weed [1/1]

"joevan" wrote ...

Mad Cow wrote:

Green alkanet has black roots as thick as your finger which go down a
long way. Dig it up carefully or they break off and regrow. You'll
need gloves as the bristly leaves are hard on the hands.
Twisting lovingly around it is your bonus Field bindweed (Convolvulus
arvensis). If you have *that* in your garden consider moving!
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_Alkanet_1988a.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated
Version 5.02 S ]

Nice photos and good information. Thanks. If I get any on my 2 floor
garden I will do away with them.

Glyphosate is you friend as far as both those are concerned, two
applications might be needed. Both very difficult to dig out, actually
impossible, so spray away and watch them die over the following few weeks
then dig away knowing all the roots are also dead.
If it's just Bindweed then there is a jelly type Glyphosate available which
you paint on, or you can put some chemical in a plastic bag and then push a
bundle of bindweed into the bag, shake it up, tie it up, and leave for the
weed to die.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.