Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Lily beetle adult (lilioceris lilii) [1/1]

Lily beetles are pretty - but look at the damage they can do in one
night! They're a major economic pest of lilies grown for cut flowers so
it's your duty to pick them off the plants and stamp on them.
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_Lily_1525.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

sum -r/size 25038/220902 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 15837/160308 entire input file
--
Sue ]
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mad Cow" wrote

Lily beetles are pretty - but look at the damage they can do in one
night! They're a major economic pest of lilies grown for cut flowers so
it's your duty to pick them off the plants and stamp on them.

Also like fritillaries too, did for my Crown Imperials and also all my
Madonna lilies. Luckily they seem to prefer some lilies to others so I still
have a good clump of Regals and of Turkscaps but you have to be daily
vigilant even then. You soon learn they throw themselves off the plant if
they suspect you are about to pick them off so have a hand underneath as
well to catch them. As for the larvae, it's the one thing I resort to
chemicals for because if you see one there are lots about.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
"Mad Cow" wrote

Lily beetles are pretty - but look at the damage they can do in one
night! They're a major economic pest of lilies grown for cut flowers so
it's your duty to pick them off the plants and stamp on them.

Also like fritillaries too, did for my Crown Imperials and also all my
Madonna lilies. Luckily they seem to prefer some lilies to others so I still
have a good clump of Regals and of Turkscaps but you have to be daily
vigilant even then. You soon learn they throw themselves off the plant if
they suspect you are about to pick them off so have a hand underneath as
well to catch them. As for the larvae, it's the one thing I resort to
chemicals for because if you see one there are lots about.

I can't grow lilies in the ground any more, only in pots where
inspection's easier. Adult lily beetles can fly but they often don't
bother to escape.
--
Sue ]