GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/207819-crocosmia-probably-lucifer.html)

Mad Cow 21-07-2013 10:29 PM

Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer'

1 Attachment(s)
It was hot today...
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_Crocosmia_6242.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

sum -r/size 9339/176441 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 25937/128033 entire input file
--
Sue ]:(:)

joevan[_3_] 22-07-2013 02:59 AM

Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer'

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 22:29:30 +0100, Mad Cow
wrote:

It was hot today...
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_Crocosmia_6242.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

I have hundreds of croscosmia Lucifer and they look nothing like
those. Tomorrow I will post some of mine. Bed time now, actually past
it.

joevan[_3_] 22-07-2013 04:44 PM

Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer' 2 shots (1/1)

2 Attachment(s)

Mad Cow 23-07-2013 02:47 PM

Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer'

In article , Mad Cow
writes
It was hot today...

[ A UUEncoded file (z_Crocosmia_6242.JPG) was included here. ]

Wow - that's definitely not a Crocosmia - you can trust me on this.

When the pods open will there be shiny black berries inside?
If so it's Iris domestica, formerly called Belemcanda chinensis.
Common names include blackberry iris, leopard lily.

If not, could you describe the leaves and the seeds? It does look like
a member of the Iridaceae, a huge family but luckily I know an expert.

Anyway it's far more desirable than any Crocosmia! One Crocosmia
hybrid's an invasive weed, especially in Ireland where it blocks
drainage ditches, and in gardens they can be really hard to get rid of.
--
Sue ]:(:)

joevan[_3_] 23-07-2013 04:29 PM

Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer'

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:47:51 +0100, Mad Cow
wrote:

In article , Mad Cow
writes
It was hot today...

[ A UUEncoded file (z_Crocosmia_6242.JPG) was included here. ]

Wow - that's definitely not a Crocosmia - you can trust me on this.

When the pods open will there be shiny black berries inside?
If so it's Iris domestica, formerly called Belemcanda chinensis.
Common names include blackberry iris, leopard lily.

If not, could you describe the leaves and the seeds? It does look like
a member of the Iridaceae, a huge family but luckily I know an expert.

Anyway it's far more desirable than any Crocosmia! One Crocosmia
hybrid's an invasive weed, especially in Ireland where it blocks
drainage ditches, and in gardens they can be really hard to get rid of.

A few bulbs came from the Pa horticultural Soc. Plant share. They were
marked crocosmia when I got them, maybe 20 years ago. They have black
berries after blooming. I always thought they were what they were
marked as. Thanks, maybe the person who gave them got it wrong.

Mad Cow 24-07-2013 11:04 AM

Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer'

In article , joevan
writes

A few bulbs came from the Pa horticultural Soc. Plant share. They were
marked crocosmia when I got them, maybe 20 years ago. They have black
berries after blooming. I always thought they were what they were
marked as. Thanks, maybe the person who gave them got it wrong.

Or the labels got mixed by the organisers - it's very easily done.

Please don't hesitate to post more pictures of blackberry iris, I like
them. They aren't really hardy here or I'd grow them.
--
Sue ]:(:)

Just Plane Noise 25-07-2013 01:31 PM

Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer' (0/9)

wrote:

It was hot today...
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_Crocosmia_6242.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

That is most definitely "Lucifer. Here are some pictures of my
"devil", which lived for 4 years but didn't survive this spring's
heavy rain and freeze attack by Mother Nature (everybody here in
Northeast Wisconsin lost lots of perennials).

Just Plane Noise 25-07-2013 01:31 PM

Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer' (1/9)

1 Attachment(s)

Just Plane Noise 25-07-2013 01:31 PM