GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poppies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/208339-poppies.html)

Grenou[_2_] 15-09-2013 07:09 PM

Poppies

1 Attachment(s)
Poppies always cheer me up :-)

Grenou

joevan[_3_] 20-09-2013 11:48 AM

Poppies

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:09:49 +0100, "Grenou" iamhere@mostofthetime
wrote:

Poppies always cheer me up :-)

Grenou

Me too I love the colors and the paper like quality of those beauties.

joevan[_3_] 20-09-2013 02:57 PM

Poppies

wrote:

Poppies always cheer me up :-)

Grenou

Me too I love the colors and the paper like quality of those beauties.

I just ordered seeds from swollowtail garden

POPPY, CALIFORNIA GOLDEN - 1/8 OUNCE
POPPY, PURPLE GLEAM CALIFORNIA - 1/8 OUNCE
POPPY, ROSE CHIFFON THAI SILK CALIFORNIA - 500 SEEDS
POPPY, SINGLE MIX CALIFORNIA - 1/8 OUNCE
I will start them in peat pots. What do you think

Grenou[_2_] 20-09-2013 03:46 PM

Poppies

wrote:

Poppies always cheer me up :-)

Grenou

Me too I love the colors and the paper like quality of those beauties.

I just ordered seeds from swollowtail garden

POPPY, CALIFORNIA GOLDEN - 1/8 OUNCE
POPPY, PURPLE GLEAM CALIFORNIA - 1/8 OUNCE
POPPY, ROSE CHIFFON THAI SILK CALIFORNIA - 500 SEEDS
POPPY, SINGLE MIX CALIFORNIA - 1/8 OUNCE
I will start them in peat pots. What do you think

-----

The poppies need a free draining soil, you could add some sand, or fine grit
to the potting compost in the peat pots.
I sprinkle them all over the place then it's a nice surprise to see what
pops up :-)

Grenou

Grenou[_2_] 20-09-2013 03:52 PM

Poppies

wrote:

Poppies always cheer me up :-)

Grenou

Me too I love the colors and the paper like quality of those beauties.

I just ordered seeds from swollowtail garden

POPPY, CALIFORNIA GOLDEN - 1/8 OUNCE
POPPY, PURPLE GLEAM CALIFORNIA - 1/8 OUNCE
POPPY, ROSE CHIFFON THAI SILK CALIFORNIA - 500 SEEDS
POPPY, SINGLE MIX CALIFORNIA - 1/8 OUNCE
I will start them in peat pots. What do you think

---------

Very pretty, but those aren't true poppies (Papaver), yours are Eschscholzia
californica which is also a very cheering flower.
Thanks for reminding me, I must grow some next year (just hope the slugs
don't get there before me).
Our garden soil is very sandy and free draining, so good for Californiam
poppies.

You have a nice selection there :-)

If you're starting them off in peat pots, add some fine sand to the potting
compost to make it drain better. Poppies, (papaver or Eschscholzia
californica) don't like too much wet at their roots).
Am looking forward to your photos next year :-)

Grenou

joevan[_3_] 20-09-2013 07:43 PM

Poppies

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 15:52:18 +0100, "Grenou" iamhere@mostofthetime
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I do hope I can get it right. Not easy on a rooftop deck garden.

Grenou[_2_] 20-09-2013 09:47 PM

Poppies

"joevan" wrote in message

I do hope I can get it right. Not easy on a rooftop deck garden.

-----

Are you planting them in troughs?
It will look very cheery :-)

Grenou