GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pineapple strawberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/208506-pineapple-strawberries.html)

Grenou[_2_] 09-10-2013 09:48 PM

Pineapple strawberries

1 Attachment(s)
These small wild strawberries look a bit unusual, but when properly ripe,
they taste wonderful.
The perfume does have a whiff of pinapple, so has the flavour.
:-)
Grenou

joevan[_3_] 10-10-2013 01:47 AM

Pineapple strawberries

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 21:48:47 +0100, "Grenou" iamhere@mostofthetime
wrote:

These small wild strawberries look a bit unusual, but when properly ripe,
they taste wonderful.
The perfume does have a whiff of pinapple, so has the flavour.
:-)
Grenou

Thanks, I never heard of them. Wonder if they are in the food markets
anywhere.

Bob O'Dyne 10-10-2013 04:32 AM

Pineapple strawberries

wrote:

These small wild strawberries look a bit unusual, but when properly ripe,
they taste wonderful.

Lovely picture. What color do the strawberries get when ripe?

--
Anne's Little Brother Bob

Grenou[_2_] 10-10-2013 11:12 AM

Pineapple strawberries

wrote:

These small wild strawberries look a bit unusual, but when properly ripe,
they taste wonderful.
The perfume does have a whiff of pinapple, so has the flavour.
:-)
Grenou

Thanks, I never heard of them. Wonder if they are in the food markets
anywhere.

-

These strawberries won't make it to food markets, you need to pick a lot of
them to fill a punnet and, as is the custom with retail outlets, they
wouldn't be ripe when picked, so have no flavour.
The usual wild strawberry, is tiny + red and full of flavour, but not
available commercially.
I have just sown some more alpine strawberries, which are slightly bigger
than the wild, so hopefully will have some next year.
I grow them in raised beds, easier to pick :-)
The Pineapple strawberry is also classified as 'Alpine' as it is a tiny bit
bigger than the true wild strawberry.

You could grow them in pots on your roof :-)

Grenou

Grenou[_2_] 10-10-2013 11:18 AM

Pineapple strawberries

wrote:

These small wild strawberries look a bit unusual, but when properly ripe,
they taste wonderful.

Lovely picture. What color do the strawberries get when ripe?

--
Anne's Little Brother Bob

-----

That IS the final colour :-)

They start off white-ish green, then slowly get a yellowish tinge. If, when
pulled, they come off the plant very easily, they're ripe and are yummy.

There is a 'new' strawberry on the market called the Pineberry, but that has
red seeds, and isn't the same is the one in the photo.

Thanks Bob :-)

Grenou