Old 22-03-2014, 04:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Mystery plant

Just got back from Puerto Rico.
The hotel had a variety of Orchids attached to their palm trees.

This thing, had me wondering what I was looking at:

It looked and felt like it was still alive.
I think a lot of the stuff behind the plant is peat moss or something
like it and there were some stones mixed in, but some of
those tendrils are air roots.

--
Dan Espen

Attached Thumbnails
Mystery plant-mystery.jpg
Old 22-03-2014, 05:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Dan.Espen" wrote

Just got back from Puerto Rico.
The hotel had a variety of Orchids attached to their palm trees.

This thing, had me wondering what I was looking at:

It looked and felt like it was still alive.
I think a lot of the stuff behind the plant is peat moss or something
like it and there were some stones mixed in, but some of
those tendrils are air roots.

They are the pseudobulbs of an orchid, which one I have no idea. Looks like
an ex orchid to me.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 24-03-2014, 02:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" writes:
"Dan.Espen" wrote
"Bob Hobden" writes:
"Dan.Espen" wrote

Only drawback I see is starting seeds is just about
impossible to do on your own. Fertilize, then send to
a laboratory.

You can grow orchids from seed as an amateur but it's not easy and
growing them on in a sterile flask takes a long time and very careful
handling, it gets more difficult when you try to get them out of the
flask and into growing medium. Been there done that and failed every
time.

The articles I read described the process, but were adamant that you
can't do it yourself, they said, send it to a lab.

I'm impressed that you even tried.

Shouldn't that have been a sealed Petri dish?

--
Dan Espen
Old 24-03-2014, 08:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

You can grow orchids from seed as an amateur but it's not easy and growing
them on in a sterile flask takes a long time and very careful handling, it
gets more difficult when you try to get them out of the flask and into
growing medium. Been there done that and failed every time.

How do they manage in the wild then?
Do they germinate in symbiosis with a fungus like temperate orchids?
--
Sue ]
Old 24-03-2014, 06:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mad Cow" wrote

Bob Hobden writes

You can grow orchids from seed as an amateur but it's not easy and growing
them on in a sterile flask takes a long time and very careful handling, it
gets more difficult when you try to get them out of the flask and into
growing medium. Been there done that and failed every time.

How do they manage in the wild then?
Do they germinate in symbiosis with a fungus like temperate orchids?

Yes.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.