GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bluebells (blue) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/209547-bluebells-blue.html)

Grenou[_2_] 14-04-2014 07:33 PM

Bluebells (blue)

1 Attachment(s)
Such a pretty colour and the scent is wonderful :-)

Grenou

Bob Hobden[_3_] 16-04-2014 05:55 PM

Bluebells (blue)

"Grenou" wrote

Such a pretty colour and the scent is wonderful :-)

Look like the more robust Spanish bluebells to me Hyacinthoides hispanica or
a hybrid of, rather than English bluebells H. non-scripta which have all the
flowers on the same side of the stem and are usually more deeper blue.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Grenou[_2_] 16-04-2014 09:34 PM

Bluebells (blue)

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Grenou" wrote

Such a pretty colour and the scent is wonderful :-)

Look like the more robust Spanish bluebells to me Hyacinthoides hispanica or
a hybrid of, rather than English bluebells H. non-scripta which have all the
flowers on the same side of the stem and are usually more deeper blue.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

---
Hehe, I *knew* someone would comment on that.
We have a mix of both, but the Spanish ones are more vigorous and pop up
everywhere.
I don't discriminate, they both smell wonderful.
I am encouraging the white ones, but removing the blue (Spanish) seedheads.

Hello West of London, this greeting comes from deepest Sussex :-)

Grenou

Bob Hobden[_3_] 19-04-2014 02:15 PM

Bluebells (blue)

"Grenou" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Grenou" wrote

Such a pretty colour and the scent is wonderful :-)

Look like the more robust Spanish bluebells to me Hyacinthoides hispanica
or
a hybrid of, rather than English bluebells H. non-scripta which have all
the
flowers on the same side of the stem and are usually more deeper blue.

Many years ago I planted some species Scilla but now they all appear to have
gone and been replaced by hybrid Spanish bluebells of various colour which I
certainly did not plant.
My surname is actually a Sussex name, and the reason I put a rough idea of
where I am in the world as a signature is so that others can then put any
gardening comments I make into context. Helps stop arguments. :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.