GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/209810-plant-id-please.html)

Salix 25-05-2014 01:37 AM

Plant ID Please

1 Attachment(s)
Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!
--
Salix

Willi_9 25-05-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salix (Post 1002446)
Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!
--
Salix

It is a variety of 'paeonia lactiflora' (peony), most probably labelled 'Sorbet' at nurseries. Peonies are originating from China, but they have been grown in Europe for a long time. I guess that is also true for the U.S..

Bob Hobden[_3_] 25-05-2014 06:32 PM

Plant ID Please

"Salix" wrote

Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!

You may find this site interesting....
http://www.americanpeonysociety.org/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Salix 25-05-2014 08:06 PM

Plant ID Please

Willi_9 wrote in :

Salix;1002446 Wrote:
Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!
--
Salix

It is a variety of 'paeonia lactiflora' (peony), most probably labelled
'Sorbet' at nurseries. Peonies are originating from China, but they have
been grown in Europe for a long time. I guess that is also true for the
U.S..

Thank you! I've never seen one in a local nursery. The current owner of
the garden couldn't ID it, but said it was planted by the garden's
original owner, who often purchased plants from catalogs. It's very
showy, and looks as if it would require large volumes of water, but it
seems to be tolerating irrigation restrictions under the current drought
quite well. Thanks again for the ID!
--
Salix

Salix 25-05-2014 08:06 PM

Plant ID Please

Bob Hobden wrote in :

"Salix" wrote

Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!

You may find this site interesting....
http://www.americanpeonysociety.org/

What an interesting site! Thanks very much for the link.
--
Salix

Mad Cow 27-05-2014 11:46 AM

Plant ID Please

In article , Salix
writes
Bob Hobden wrote in :

"Salix" wrote

Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!

You may find this site interesting....
http://www.americanpeonysociety.org/

What an interesting site! Thanks very much for the link.

Thank you for posting an ID request that was identifiable (even if
others beat me to it). Your chance of a correct ID is much improved by
a good picture!
--
Sue ]:(:)

Bob Hobden[_3_] 27-05-2014 03:23 PM

Plant ID Please

"Salix" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote

"Salix" wrote

Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!

You may find this site interesting....
http://www.americanpeonysociety.org/

What an interesting site! Thanks very much for the link.

I just thought if you wanted to purchase one or more that site has lots of
links to US nurseries.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Salix 28-05-2014 04:04 AM

Plant ID Please

Mad Cow wrote in :

In article , Salix
writes
Bob Hobden wrote in :

"Salix" wrote

Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!

You may find this site interesting....
http://www.americanpeonysociety.org/

What an interesting site! Thanks very much for the link.

Thank you for posting an ID request that was identifiable (even if
others beat me to it). Your chance of a correct ID is much improved by
a good picture!

Thanks! I took it with my phone, and posted it with fingers crossed. :-D
--
Salix

Salix 28-05-2014 04:05 AM

Plant ID Please

Bob Hobden wrote in :

"Salix" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote

"Salix" wrote

Could anyone ID this plant, please? It's growing in a garden in
Fredericksburg Texas, but my guess is it isn't native to the area. TIA!

You may find this site interesting....
http://www.americanpeonysociety.org/

What an interesting site! Thanks very much for the link.

I just thought if you wanted to purchase one or more that site has lots of
links to US nurseries.

I love browsing through catalogs and plant and seed sites online,
although I don't often make purchases. My own garden is planted with
native, drought-tolerant species, and I buy and trade locally. I enjoyed
browsing the site, however, and bookmarked it for future visits. Thanks
again for sharing it.
--
Salix