Old 27-05-2014, 05:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

Default Chelsea Flower Show 3: Second Prize

Richard Cayeux' Iris 'Domino Noir' - the breeder was there himself.
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_3419.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 5.02 S ]

sum -r/size 18024/201019 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 48607/145879 entire input file
--
Sue ]
Attached Images
Old 28-05-2014, 08:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

"Mad Cow" wrote in message ...

Richard Cayeux' Iris 'Domino Noir' - the breeder was there himself.
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_3419.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version
5.02 S ]

I think that is also on trial at the RHS Wisley garden if you get a chance
to visit their trial fields.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-05-2014, 10:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
"Mad Cow" wrote in message ...

Richard Cayeux' Iris 'Domino Noir' - the breeder was there himself.
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_3419.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version
5.02 S ]

I think that is also on trial at the RHS Wisley garden if you get a chance
to visit their trial fields.

I'm told the trials are flowering very well this year, probably thanks
to the wet weather - it's hard growing on sand when it's dry.
--
Sue ]
Old 28-05-2014, 11:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

"Mad Cow" wrote ...

Bob Hobden writes
"Mad Cow" wrote

Richard Cayeux' Iris 'Domino Noir' - the breeder was there himself.
[ Section: 1/1 File: z_3419.JPG UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version
5.02 S ]

I think that is also on trial at the RHS Wisley garden if you get a chance
to visit their trial fields.

I'm told the trials are flowering very well this year, probably thanks
to the wet weather - it's hard growing on sand when it's dry.

Yes they are Sue, but they will not be so good after this prolonged wet
weather, mine out on my allotment are all but over now but that is heavy
clay/silt, Wisley seems to be on sand. Unfortunately I didn't get round to
weeding them this spring because of the wet so the slugs and snails had a
field day. That said some flowered this year that I thought I had lost.
Anyway, there is always next season!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-05-2014, 03:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

Mad Cow writes:

Richard Cayeux' Iris 'Domino Noir' - the breeder was there himself.

Beautiful picture and the form of the plant is nice.
But how can a flower with brown petals come in second.

--
Dan Espen

Old 29-05-2014, 09:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

In article , Dan.Espen
writes
Mad Cow writes:

Richard Cayeux' Iris 'Domino Noir' - the breeder was there himself.

Beautiful picture and the form of the plant is nice.
But how can a flower with brown petals come in second.

Brown petals? The standards (upper petals) are white with purple edges
and the falls (lower petals) are dark purple. I'm afraid my picture
doesn't do it justice: it's meant to be seen from above, not staged on a
podium, so perhaps you were seeing the papery bracts or the petal bases,
which would normally be under the flowers.
I thought the judges did a good job considering the variety of plant
types, from a Streptocarpus to a clematis on a five-foot cane.
--
Sue ]
Old 30-05-2014, 03:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

Mad Cow writes:

In article , Dan.Espen
writes
Mad Cow writes:

Richard Cayeux' Iris 'Domino Noir' - the breeder was there himself.

Beautiful picture and the form of the plant is nice.
But how can a flower with brown petals come in second.

Brown petals? The standards (upper petals) are white with purple edges
and the falls (lower petals) are dark purple. I'm afraid my picture
doesn't do it justice: it's meant to be seen from above, not staged on a
podium, so perhaps you were seeing the papery bracts or the petal bases,
which would normally be under the flowers.
I thought the judges did a good job considering the variety of plant
types, from a Streptocarpus to a clematis on a five-foot cane.

Could be my monitor, don't know.
It looked brown to me, and I've seen some brown
iris. They just look wrong in brown.

--
Dan Espen
Old 30-05-2014, 01:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

"Dan.Espen" wrote
Could be my monitor, don't know.
It looked brown to me, and I've seen some brown
iris. They just look wrong in brown.

I know what you mean but we have a brown one that looks stunning because of
the pattern, forgotten the name, but there are brown shades here that
certainly look good ...
http://www.iris-cayeux.com/catalogue?tp=1&cc=5&lang=EN

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-05-2014, 05:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

"Bob Hobden" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote
Could be my monitor, don't know.
It looked brown to me, and I've seen some brown
iris. They just look wrong in brown.

I know what you mean but we have a brown one that looks stunning
because of the pattern, forgotten the name, but there are brown shades
here that certainly look good ...
http://www.iris-cayeux.com/catalogue?tp=1&cc=5&lang=EN

Interesting.

I'm sticking with blues, purples, yellows though.

--
Dan Espen
Old 30-05-2014, 09:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

In article , Dan.Espen
writes
"Bob Hobden" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote
Could be my monitor, don't know.
It looked brown to me, and I've seen some brown
iris. They just look wrong in brown.

I know what you mean but we have a brown one that looks stunning
because of the pattern, forgotten the name, but there are brown shades
here that certainly look good ...
http://www.iris-cayeux.com/catalogue?tp=1&cc=5&lang=EN

Interesting.

I'm sticking with blues, purples, yellows though.

You choose what you like and what suits your garden. Flower arrangers
often like greyish blends that don't work well outdoors with other
plants, and the brown shades that look great in Mediterranean sunshine
may not work in the bluer light of a British summer.
--
Sue ]