Old 14-07-2014, 09:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Orange Trumpet Creeper-5809

(Pyrostegia venusta)

Old 14-07-2014, 03:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

So beautiful Barb. I have a yellow one but it hasn't bloomed yet. I
planted it a couple years ago and it has taken it this long to really look
good but not sure I will get flowers this year or not. I sure hope so as I
think it will be very beautiful.

(Pyrostegia venusta)

Old 14-07-2014, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , BarbaraH
writes
(Pyrostegia venusta)

[ A MIME image / jpeg part was included here. ]

Gorgeous and dramatic! Is it native to Australia? And do you know what
pollinates it?
--
Sue ]
Old 15-07-2014, 07:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Stinkweed brought next idea :
So beautiful Barb. I have a yellow one but it hasn't bloomed yet. I
planted it a couple years ago and it has taken it this long to really
look good but not sure I will get flowers this year or not. I sure
hope so as I think it will be very beautiful.

Thanks Sharon, I think yours may be a different one as these ones only
come in orange and only grow in warm climates.

Old 15-07-2014, 08:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mad Cow formulated the question :

Gorgeous and dramatic! Is it native to Australia? And do you know
what pollinates it?

Thanks sue. It's a South American native and polinated by bees.

Old 15-07-2014, 11:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:38:24 +1000, BarbaraH
wrote:

Mad Cow formulated the question :

Gorgeous and dramatic! Is it native to Australia? And do you know
what pollinates it?

Thanks sue. It's a South American native and polinated by bees.

There is one here. Used to be two, one had to go because it was
getting into my roof. Is there a picture of the plant on your web
page. I would like to see the difference.
Old 16-07-2014, 09:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

joevan wrote :

There is one here. Used to be two, one had to go because it was
getting into my roof. Is there a picture of the plant on your web
page. I would like to see the difference.

They can be very vigorous and completely overtake what ever they grow
over.

http://tinyurl.com/lfxl4lo
http://tinyurl.com/kkbnmbv

Old 16-07-2014, 04:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 18:43:55 +1000, BarbaraH
wrote:

joevan wrote :

There is one here. Used to be two, one had to go because it was
getting into my roof. Is there a picture of the plant on your web
page. I would like to see the difference.

They can be very vigorous and completely overtake what ever they grow
over.

http://tinyurl.com/lfxl4lo
http://tinyurl.com/kkbnmbv

I know well that it can do damage. It was my neighbors vine.
Old 18-07-2014, 05:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:51:12 +1000, BarbaraH
wrote:

(Pyrostegia venusta)

The attachments are what our orange trumpets look like.

They're called "boru çiçeği" in Turkish but so are a lot of other
things:

http://tureng.com/search/boru%20%c3%a7i%c3%a7e%c4%9fi

They can be quite invasive and will thrive most anywhere. That pod
when dry splits and releases thousands of translucent, wafer-thin
seeds about the size and shape of a fingernail.

--
Anne's Little Brother Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Orange Trumpet Creeper-5809-boru-cicegi-foca-2014.07.17.07.24.18-e.jpg
Old 20-07-2014, 10:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob O'Dyne expressed precisely :
wrote:

(Pyrostegia venusta)

The attachments are what our orange trumpets look like.

The problem with "common" names, same name, different places, different
flowers. :-)

Old 20-07-2014, 11:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 19:05:12 +1000, BarbaraH
wrote:

(Pyrostegia venusta)

The attachments are what our orange trumpets look like.

The problem with "common" names, same name, different places, different
flowers. :-)

Agreed. Any idea what plant the pictures might be of? People here like
to train them to arbors and suchlike because they are so hardy and
vigorous. And they certainly are showy flowers.

--
Anne's Little Brother Bob
Old 20-07-2014, 05:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , Bob O'Dyne
writes
wrote:

(Pyrostegia venusta)

The attachments are what our orange trumpets look like.

They can be quite invasive and will thrive most anywhere. That pod
when dry splits and releases thousands of translucent, wafer-thin
seeds about the size and shape of a fingernail.

Campsis radicans - we used to grow that! It got into our roof every
year and was a right job to prune without damaging the tiles.
It's reasonably hardy in southern England, flowers in sunny places but
I've never seen the seed pods and I couldn't get cuttings to take root
(in spite of the Latin name which means it should root along the stems).

I wonder if I could grow one here...
--
Sue ]