Old 11-09-2014, 09:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Broccoli Flowers-8726

My broccoli plants produced quite a few feeds this year, I left a few
of the re-growths go to flower and was quite surprised at how pretty
the flowers are.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"BarbaraH" wrote

My broccoli plants produced quite a few feeds this year, I left a few
of the re-growths go to flower and was quite surprised at how pretty
the flowers are.

We used to leave ours in as long as possible so they flowered when we had
bee keepers on the allotment site as the bees love those flowers.
Unfortunately the bee hives have gone now so there is little point.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden pretended :

We used to leave ours in as long as possible so they flowered when we
had bee keepers on the allotment site as the bees love those flowers.
Unfortunately the bee hives have gone now so there is little point.

Funny you should say that, as I have found out since letting them go to
flower, they are real bee magnets, of which I am very pleased to see.
Over the past couple of weeks I have been so pleased to see so many
bees in the garden as last year when we were in drought (our area is
still drought declared) thousands of bees died and the bee industry was
hard hit. However, at the moment, it looks like the bees have
recovered. Apart from honey bees (introduced), I have seen many of our
native bees. My husband has made a few bee "homes" and we have them
placed around the yard, there's been no takers yet, but time will tell.
Most of our native bees are solitary bees, they don't swarm and make
hives like honey bees.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , BarbaraH
writes

Funny you should say that, as I have found out since letting them go to
flower, they are real bee magnets, of which I am very pleased to see.
Over the past couple of weeks I have been so pleased to see so many
bees in the garden as last year when we were in drought (our area is
still drought declared) thousands of bees died and the bee industry was
hard hit. However, at the moment, it looks like the bees have
recovered. Apart from honey bees (introduced), I have seen many of our
native bees. My husband has made a few bee "homes" and we have them
placed around the yard, there's been no takers yet, but time will tell.
Most of our native bees are solitary bees, they don't swarm and make
hives like honey bees.

[ A MIME image / jpeg part was included here. ]

That's amazing! What was your exposure?
--
Sue ]
Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

It happens that Mad Cow formulated :
In article , BarbaraH
writes

That's amazing! What was your exposure?

Thanks. f5.6 @ 1/500. ISO 1000, 100mm Canon macro lens.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"BarbaraH" wrote

Bob Hobden pretended :

[...]

What we call Bumble Bees. They get up earlier than Honey bees and go to bed
later and will even be seen around during a warm spell in winter, very
important pollinators. Some of ours do make a "nest", we had one in our
compost heap last year. Went to dig out the heap and suddenly I was
surrounded with a number of large angry bees obviously wanting me to go
away. I just left them to finish their years work.

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/ (and you can download a
factsheet near the bottom)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-09-2014, 09:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden pretended :

What we call Bumble Bees. They get up earlier than Honey bees and go
to bed later and will even be seen around during a warm spell in
winter, very important pollinators. Some of ours do make a "nest", we
had one in our compost heap last year. Went to dig out the heap and
suddenly I was surrounded with a number of large angry bees obviously
wanting me to go away. I just left them to finish their years work.

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/ (and you can download
a factsheet near the bottom)

Interesting to see there is a decline in the Bumble Bees, not good news
at all.
We don't have Bumble Bees in mainland Australia, however some were
'accidently' introduced in Tasmania about 20 years a go.
Some of our native bees are extremely tiny, I've tried to get some
photos of them, but it is a little difficult, due to their tiny size.
:-)

Old 11-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Banned

Location: PK

Hey its really great to see this post about flowers of Broccoli, Actually this is my most favorite vegetable to cook & eat in diet, but in my city it is tough to get this, but in can..
So would you mind to tell me, the procedure to make my own flower in my garden. Thanks in advance

[IMG] code is On

Broccoli Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Harvesting broccoli seeds. Gregory Toomey Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Broccoli and romaine lettuce: good container plants??? Mick709 Gardening 1 24-03-2003 12:20 PM
purple sprouting broccoli A.Malhotra United Kingdom 3 16-03-2003 05:56 PM
Broccoli flowers Chris Edible Gardening 1 16-02-2003 02:51 AM