GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   little rodent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/212141-little-rodent.html)

Willi_9 11-10-2015 09:50 AM

little rodent

1 Attachment(s)
a little unidentified citoyen of my garden: May he be more cautious against my neighbours' cats than he was against me. I took the pic Aug-28'2015.

I thought it couldn't be a vole, because his extremities looked more fit for climbing and jumping than for digging. It can't be a rat either, according to images from the internet do they have complete hairless ears.
Does anyone accidently know what it is exactly?

Amos Nomore 11-10-2015 04:19 PM

little rodent

On 2015-10-11 08:50:56 +0000, Willi_9 said:

a little unidentified citoyen of my garden: May he be more cautious
against my neighbours' cats than he was against me. I took the pic
Aug-28'2015.

I thought it couldn't be a vole, because his extremities looked more fit
for climbing and jumping than for digging. It can't be a rat either,
according to images from the internet do they have complete hairless
ears.
Does anyone accidently know what it is exactly?

It's a deer mouse.

Oops I see you are in the UK - must be a wood mouse or long-tailed field mouse.

Willi_9 12-10-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Nomore (Post 1016543)

On 2015-10-11 08:50:56 +0000, Willi_9 said:

a little unidentified citoyen of my garden: May he be more cautious
against my neighbours' cats than he was against me. I took the pic
Aug-28'2015.

I thought it couldn't be a vole, because his extremities looked more fit
for climbing and jumping than for digging. It can't be a rat either,
according to images from the internet do they have complete hairless
ears.
Does anyone accidently know what it is exactly?

It's a deer mouse.

Oops I see you are in the UK - must be a wood mouse or long-tailed field mouse.

I think you're right. I didn't see it since. I hope it's clever enough to trick the cats. The location is Central Europe.

Thanks!

MattS88 30-06-2016 08:58 AM

Great photo. How were you able to get so close?

Willi_9 30-06-2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattS88 (Post 1020661)
Great photo. How were you able to get so close?

I've been surprised too that he didn't run away. The little fellow had his eyes closed and was nibbling on something what I thought was a tiny pebble.
I'm very friendly to wild animals, maybe he knew that.