GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   rainy daffodils (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/212526-rainy-daffodils.html)

Willi_9 13-03-2016 01:47 PM

rainy daffodils

1 Attachment(s)
photographed today [2016-03-13]. These are the very first of my daffodils. They are possibly the original wild variety. Many on other spots are yet to come. And best of all they seem resistant against narcissus flies. These killed almost all of my late-bloomers, esp. 'White Lion','Tahiti' and 'Salome'.

Opinicus[_2_] 13-03-2016 04:58 PM

rainy daffodils

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:47:53 +0100, Willi_9
wrote:

photographed today [2016-03-13]. These are the very first of my
daffodils. They are possibly the original wild variety. Many on other
spots are yet to come.

Or it could be a cultivated variety that's escaped into the wild. Some
sections of the gardens of disused/dilapidated Ottoman-period mansions
on Heybeli island in Istanbul where we used to live were completely
taken over by daffodils that had once been confined to neat beds. It
was a lovely sight at this time of year.

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of

Willi_9 14-03-2016 03:37 PM

You might be right that they are not the natural variety, but they certainly have been planted in this very place. Daffodils do not spread out by seed here (Central Europe), they just form dense clusters around where they've been once planted.