GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Random fruit pits/pips. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/214324-random-fruit-pits-pips.html)

Ian Field 31-08-2016 09:22 PM

Random fruit pits/pips.

Will they grow if cast on land?

Ian Field 01-09-2016 08:14 PM

Random fruit pits/pips.

"Wolf K" wrote in message
On 2016-08-31 15:22, Ian Field wrote:
Will they grow if cast on land?

"starting fruit trees from seed" got this hit among others:

http://inhabitat.com/growing-trees-f...rk-which-wont/

Good luck,

Thanks.

Last chestnut season, I came by about 3 nuts in all that had sprouted a
root - they were promptly planted near the tree line behind the flats.

Any other fruit pips/pits get saved, when the opportunity arises they get
chucked on any likely looking land - whatever will be etc.

Ian Field 03-09-2016 08:45 PM

Random fruit pits/pips.

On 2016-08-31 15:22, Ian Field wrote:
Will they grow if cast on land?

"starting fruit trees from seed" got this hit among others:

http://inhabitat.com/growing-trees-f...rk-which-wont/

Any info on oranges, tangerines, satsumas etc?

Perhaps we could find out global warming isn't a hoax after
all..........................

Ian Field 03-09-2016 11:09 PM

Random fruit pits/pips.

On 2016-08-31 15:22, Ian Field wrote:
Will they grow if cast on land?

"starting fruit trees from seed" got this hit among others:

http://inhabitat.com/growing-trees-f...rk-which-wont/

Any info on oranges, tangerines, satsumas etc?

Perhaps we could find out global warming isn't a hoax after
all..........................

Citrus seeds will sometimes germinate in a pot. Try it and see. We have
two in our front porch, both about 30 years old. When we decide to get rid
of them, their trunks will make excellent walking sticks.

Global warming is real. We've gone from zone 4A to 5A here. We were at the
southern fringe of the subarctic, now we're northern fringe of temperate.
Winter starts about 4 weeks later and ends about 2 weeks sooner, deep
freezes used to last one to two weeks at a time, now they're down to three
or four days. We began to notice the changes about 25 years ago, they seem
to be accelerating.

We've had a couple of mild winters, but it tends to come in cycles -
probably not long to the next severe winter.

Britain is under a stretch of jet stream that moves north or south a lot.

Ian Field 09-09-2016 10:59 PM

Random fruit pits/pips.

On 2016-08-31 15:22, Ian Field wrote:
Will they grow if cast on land?

"starting fruit trees from seed" got this hit among others:

http://inhabitat.com/growing-trees-f...rk-which-wont/

That website is pretty much specific about trees.

Is there a more generalised website?

I'd consider trying different fruits if I could do something with the seeds.