Old 29-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Registered User

Default What is this plant?

Hello everyone,

I have recently moved to a new house in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire (UK) and would like help identifying a plant/shrub placed by the previous owners in my front garden. As seen in the photo, it has leather - like leaves and a really pungent peppery smell. Its budding flowers, but an absolute nightmare as it grows very quickly. I've had to prune it frequently since I moved here in December. I would very much like to find out the name of this so I can do some research. I'm a beginner gardener having moved here from a flat in London!

The leaves are sprinkled with what looks like 'black dirt' which, I'm assuming are aphids or similar. I thought it was earth at first. But, there is no obvious holes or damage to the leaves so I' m assuming the snails are repelled by it.

If you have any idea on the name, please do enlighten me!

Many thanks,
Sam.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this plant?-img_0351.jpg
Old 30-04-2018, 10:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:29:46 +0100, Sam H
wrote:

[...]

Suspect it is a Buddleia (or Buddleja). Many varieties exist, most
fairly small bushes but can be trees. Your pruning will have
encouraged its growth.

(gardening not far from you in Gerrards Cross)

Guy Gorton