GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lily among 'weeds' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/215483-lily-among-weeds.html)

Willi_9 16-06-2018 07:13 PM

lily among 'weeds'

1 Attachment(s)
... firelily and rough hawksbeard precisely. photographed a week ago.

Opinicus[_3_] 17-06-2018 05:35 AM

lily among 'weeds'

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 19:13:31 +0100, Willi_9
wrote:

.. firelily and rough hawksbeard precisely. photographed a week ago.

Beautiful. That picture reminded me of two things. One is of a "secret
place" that I knew growing up as a kid in northwestern New Jersey in
the late 50s and early 60s where a flower like this that we called
"tiger lilies" grew in abundance. They may have been L.bulbiferum
escaped into the wild but were more likely L.superbum given the
location. The other is that "weed" (thank you for putting it in quotes
too) is an entirely human judgment call.

Thanks for posting, Willi.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

Willi_9 24-06-2018 06:09 PM

a nice story. thanks.
actually this firelily is a hybrid, not the natural variety. I knew places where a few grew in the areas nearby. They were all extinct. One spot was in the middle of a narrow and solitary path through woodland. It's nicely gravelled now and the lilies are gone.