GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   US pumpkins in Turkey (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/217258-us-pumpkins-turkey.html)

Opinicus[_3_] 11-10-2020 09:01 AM

US pumpkins in Turkey

A Turkish friend of mine hand-carried a packet of jack-o-lantern
pumpkin seeds bought while in the US and planted them in one of his
fields last year. The first crop came up pretty normal as I recall,
though they were somewhat misshapen and huge. He collected the seeds
from the harvested pumpkins and planted them this spring. The linked
jpgs show some of the results. The single big one (the little glass
mug next to it holds 200 ml) looks like something from a horror show.
All of them resemble demons from Hell.

(Pictures to follow--hopefully)
--
Bob

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

Opinicus[_3_] 11-10-2020 09:06 AM

US pumpkins in Turkey - tr.pumpkins.2020.10.03.10.44.36.jpg

1 Attachment(s)

Big one
--
Bob

Opinicus[_3_] 11-10-2020 09:08 AM

US pumpkins in Turkey - tr.pumpkins.2020.10.03.10.45.02.jpg

1 Attachment(s)
Smaller ones
--
Bob

Opinicus[_3_] 11-10-2020 09:10 AM

US pumpkins in Turkey

The squashes most closely resembling an American pumpkin in Turkey is
called balkabagi (literally "honey squash") and were being cultivated
in an adjacent field. They're enormous. Their very thick shell makes
them quite difficult to carve (I tried it for Halloween my second year
in Turkey) and has a distinctly bluish tinge.

https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bal_kaba%C4%9F%C4%B1
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3p59l54