GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   yukka (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/217362-yukka.html)

Willi_9 29-01-2021 10:16 PM

yukka

1 Attachment(s)
photographed four weeks ago.

Opinicus[_3_] 30-01-2021 10:01 AM

Another yukka (a balcony captive) - yukka 2021.01.30.12.14.02.jpg

1 Attachment(s)
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 22:16:30 +0000, Willi_9
wrote:

photographed four weeks ago.

This one's been growing in a big pot on the balcony at least since
2015. It stays outdoors all year round. I've got a picture of it
somewhere with snow on the leaves. Yukkas do fairly well in gardens
here. I think I've even seen one that bloomed.

--
Bob
Sidera errantia quibus procella tenebrarum in aeternum servata est

[email protected] 30-01-2021 12:25 PM

Another yukka (a balcony captive) - yukka 2021.01.30.12.14.02.jpg

wrote:

photographed four weeks ago.

This one's been growing in a big pot on the balcony at least since
2015. It stays outdoors all year round. I've got a picture of it
somewhere with snow on the leaves. Yukkas do fairly well in gardens
here. I think I've even seen one that bloomed.

Had no idea a yucca could withstand weather cold enough to survive
with snow. Next door neighbor has several of them in her yard. Planted
in the ground in our warm climate they get rather large around here.

Tampa Bob

Opinicus[_3_] 31-01-2021 07:33 AM

wrote:

This one's been growing in a big pot on the balcony at least since
2015. It stays outdoors all year round. I've got a picture of it
somewhere with snow on the leaves. Yukkas do fairly well in gardens
here. I think I've even seen one that bloomed.

Had no idea a yucca could withstand weather cold enough to survive
with snow. Next door neighbor has several of them in her yard. Planted
in the ground in our warm climate they get rather large around here.

They're hardier than it seems apparently. We had one on Heybeli island
in Istanbul that lived in the ground in a small, walled garden on a
steep slope that was protected from the winter northeasterlies. It
thrived but did so horizontally rather than vertically. We had to prop
up the branches with stakes.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats