Old 10-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Gloria

Default Oak tree galls

Are oak galls harmful to the tree?

Thanks,
Gloria

---

Old 11-03-2003, 12:56 AM
DGiunti

Gloria writes:

Are oak galls harmful to the tree?

It's likely the number of them that could become a problem. They do have a
use though. If you know someone that likes to make classical ink, they are one
of the most common ingredients, along with walnut husk.

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk
Old 11-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Gloria

My tree has a lot of them. The tree is huge, and magnificent. Is there
anything I can do to get rid of them, or keep them from forming?

Thanks,
Gloria

Old 11-03-2003, 06:20 AM
DGiunti

Gloria writes:

My tree has a lot of them. The tree is huge, and magnificent. Is there
anything I can do to get rid of them, or keep them from forming?

Thanks,
Gloria

Actually I am not sure. Their cause is insect infestation of many species.
The color is likely the key to it's possible utility or danger. They do no
good, but I can't say for certain if they are very bad. It might be possible
to nuke the tree with some chemical to make it resist the predation. But once
set, even when the gall bug flys away, you are left with it's old nursery.

None of the areas where I've lived with Oaks had sever problems with them.
It might be the sort of thing that a county AG agent would have though. The
best news for things like this is local. If it's a known blight, they may have
a solution.

Dave