Old 10-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Joseph Paturbo

Default Tree Recommendation - Minneapolis Area

Just relocated several months ago to Minneapolis area...new
construction, not a tree on the lot (about 1/2 acre). Would like to
put in a few trees this spring. What's recommended in this area for
relatively quick growth and eventual shade? Thanks for any info!

ac
Old 11-03-2003, 03:32 AM
gregpresley

I think that the native American paper birch is native to Minnesota, and
usually birches are fast growing, although they don't cast a dense shade.
Probably many kinds of maple would do well for you as well. If you don't
have to worry about water lines, sewer pipes, etc, then the fastest growing
trees are probably willows and poplars.
om...

Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 AM
B & J

"Joseph Paturbo" wrote in message
om...
Just relocated several months ago to Minneapolis area...new
construction, not a tree on the lot (about 1/2 acre). Would like to
put in a few trees this spring. What's recommended in this area for
relatively quick growth and eventual shade? Thanks for any info!

ac

One of my favorites when I lived in MN was the seedless green ash. It didn't
fill my garden and flower bed with seedlings, and it had the remarkable
habit of dropping all its leaves in the space of a day. To add to its
attractiveness was the fact that it was relatively disease free (did get
leaf galls) and had a wide crown for shade

A problem can occur because it does develop weak crotches, which can split
away from the main trunk, but one can safeguard against this by early and
careful pruning of improperly angled branches.

John

Old 11-03-2003, 03:56 PM
mmarteen

Is the seedless ash susceptible to the nasty ash disease that is currently
ravaging southern Michigan?

If you are in the twin cities I would recommend visiting a bachman's. They
give free landscaping advice. Although it's on the other side of the cities
from you, Gertens in Inver grove Heights has a massive nursery and you can
walk around and check out some of the trees yourself. They can also
probably advise you.

mm