GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Transplanting Tree Peony? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/100568-transplanting-tree-peony.html)

[email protected] 27-07-2005 05:24 PM

Transplanting Tree Peony?

When I moved into my house 3 years ago, I found what I believe is a
tree peony way in the back of the yard. Everything had been neglected
for so long, and this was no exception.

1st year it was a stick with a few leaves, about 2 or 3 feet tall. Last
year the top died, and it started growing from the bottom. This year,
it is like a new plant, bigger and leafier than ever. But it is in
deep, dry shade, and I have no hope that it will ever bloom or amount
to anything where it is....

I've heard they are very difficult to transplant. Anyone have any
experience with this? I have a nice sunny spot in the front yard where
I'm sure it would be happier, but I hate to kill it in the process. I'd
rather leave it where it is than kill it.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.
Thanks!

RosietheRiviter 27-07-2005 06:43 PM

Hi: I purchased a tree peony last year and put it in the wrong spot.
This year I gently dug it out replanted in a sunny spot and it did
well. I was informed to put a whole mashed banana in the hole and mix
it up as peonys like potassium. Something worked as it has produced
many leaves this year and I am hoping for a blossom next. Good luck.

Kay Lancaster 28-07-2005 03:42 AM

On 27 Jul 2005 09:24:14 -0700, wrote:
I've heard they are very difficult to transplant. Anyone have any
experience with this? I have a nice sunny spot in the front yard where
I'm sure it would be happier, but I hate to kill it in the process. I'd
rather leave it where it is than kill it.

I've moved several with no real hoo-rahs. Waited till the plant was dormant
in the fall, then did my "dig a huge hole, then dig up the plant, then
move it" routine. Watered thoroughly and gave it some fertilizer
next spring, and water in the summer drought. Took 2-3 years
to start blooming again, but they all did.

Some reading material:
http://www.treepeony.com/planting.htm
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8501.html

Pay good attention to the new planting site... these are very long-lived
plants, and you might as well not plant them where they'll be shaded again
in a few years.

Kay

[email protected] 28-07-2005 02:24 PM

Thank you both! I think I will give it a try in September.

Knowing the history of the house, I suspect this plant has been where
it is for at least 25 years, and was completely neglected for half of
that...I'll put it in a nice spot where it will get water and sun.

Thanks again!
Carol

presley 04-08-2005 08:44 AM

tree peonies can survive and flower with quite a bit less sun than
herbaceous peonies. I have one in what I would call 1/4 daylight (probably
less than 2 hours of direct sun a day) and it has flowered beautifully with
a dozen or more enormous white and red flowers for 4 years. The site below
advises "gentle sunlight" - an area that will receive semi-shade in the
afternoon so that the flowers won't shrivel prematurely in the hot afternoon
sun. Don't be in a hurry to put it in your sunniest garden spot. It probably
won't flower in deep shade, but maybe you can leave it where it is if you
open up a window of sunlight on it by cutting out a branch from an
overhanging tree or something. However, if it is in a location where there
is too much competition from tree roots nearby, it probably won't thrive and
will have to be moved.

http://www.thegardenwindow.com/cultinstruct.html
oups.com...