Old 11-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Gary E

Default broadleaf weed killer

It is now in the 50's in the daytime, can I apply a broadleaf weed killer to
the clover like weeds in the yard now or do I need to wait till it is
warmer? Thanks,Gary

Old 11-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:35:14 GMT, "Gary E" wrote:

It is now in the 50's in the daytime, can I apply a broadleaf weed killer to
the clover like weeds in the yard now or do I need to wait till it is
warmer? Thanks,Gary

you COULD learn to grow grass and have it outcompete the clover!

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson
Old 11-03-2003, 03:08 AM
paghat

In article , Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:35:14 GMT, "Gary E" wrote:

It is now in the 50's in the daytime, can I apply a broadleaf weed killer to
the clover like weeds in the yard now or do I need to wait till it is
warmer? Thanks,Gary

you COULD learn to grow grass and have it outcompete the clover!

Couple days ago on Gardening with Cisko, he said problems with clover
indicate nitrogen deficiency & if you give the area a good nitrogen
fertilizing the clover will die back. It's nothing I need to try, so dunno
if I'll ever be able to test if it works, but when he suggested it, I
wondered why ANYone has problems with clover if a good fertilizing takes
care of it

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 11-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:35:14 GMT, "Gary E" wrote:

It is now in the 50's in the daytime, can I apply a broadleaf weed killer to
the clover like weeds in the yard now or do I need to wait till it is
warmer? Thanks,Gary

Follow the label directions. Most will say "when weeds are actively
growing." I highly recommend spot treatment, as the chemicals tend to
be harsh on your lawn.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:19:43 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

chemicals tend to
be harsh on your lawn.

on lawns, ground water, chidren, animals and the planet in general...

Old 11-03-2003, 06:33 AM
B & J

"Gary E" wrote in message
It is now in the 50's in the daytime, can I apply a broadleaf weed killer

the clover like weeds in the yard now or do I need to wait till it is
warmer? Thanks,Gary

Clover is difficult to control (read -get rid of.) using a broad leaf weed
killer. It requires a never-ending spraying regimen. It also isn't very
effective if temperatures drop below 47 and works better in the fall, when
perennial weeds are storing food. I gave up a number of years ago and enjoy
the fact that the flowers attract bees to my yard.

You might try spot spraying with RoundUp, but that means having dead patches
in your lawn unless you have a bermuda lawn, which isn't affected during
dormant/cold weather periods.

John

Old 11-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Sunflower

"Gary E" wrote in message
It is now in the 50's in the daytime, can I apply a broadleaf weed killer

the clover like weeds in the yard now or do I need to wait till it is
warmer? Thanks,Gary

Wouldn't you rather just apply a grass herbicide and enjoy the clover lawn?

Sunflower
MS 7b with a "lawn alternative" of clover and wildflowers

Old 11-03-2003, 02:44 PM
animaux

I'm always curious why people want to kill clover when it's a legume and a
nitrogen fixing plant. Clover is good for the lawn, good for those first
butterflies and other beneficial insects which need the cool weather flowers if
they arrive too early or spring starts too late. I love the way clover looks in
the lawn. Free nitrogen.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, I have positively NO idea how herbicides
work or when as I've never used them.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:29:44 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"Gary E" wrote in message
It is now in the 50's in the daytime, can I apply a broadleaf weed killer

the clover like weeds in the yard now or do I need to wait till it is
warmer? Thanks,Gary

Clover is difficult to control (read -get rid of.) using a broad leaf weed
killer. It requires a never-ending spraying regimen. It also isn't very
effective if temperatures drop below 47 and works better in the fall, when
perennial weeds are storing food. I gave up a number of years ago and enjoy
the fact that the flowers attract bees to my yard.

You might try spot spraying with RoundUp, but that means having dead patches
in your lawn unless you have a bermuda lawn, which isn't affected during
dormant/cold weather periods.

John

It really depends on the type of clover. I found that one application
of broadleaf killer wipes out white clover. The black medic clover is
exceptioanlly tough and requires two or three applications. Best to
wait until temperatures reach above 65 during the day to administer.

Old 15-03-2003, 04:08 AM
J Kolenovsky

Get a good, organic fertilizer and start fertilizing weekly. You'll
outcompete the weeds and have the stoutest grass on the block. Try this
for one season. Next spring, spread 1/2 inch of compost on your lawn in
February and start organic fertilzer apps in March and see what the
soilfoodweb will bring you.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Gary E wrote:
=

It is now in the 50's in the daytime, can I apply a broadleaf weed kill=

er to
the clover like weeds in the yard now or do I need to wait till it is
warmer? Thanks,Gary

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 15-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Pam

J Kolenovsky wrote:

Get a good, organic fertilizer and start fertilizing weekly. You'll
outcompete the weeds and have the stoutest grass on the block. Try this
for one season. Next spring, spread 1/2 inch of compost on your lawn in
February and start organic fertilzer apps in March and see what the
soilfoodweb will bring you.

While I agree with you in principle, I have to disagree in practice. Fertiizing
once a week is excessive and unnecessary. Three times during the growing season
for lawns is more than adequate, specially if using an organic fertilizer, which
by nature is a slow release product. Weekly applications will provide excessive
quantities of plant nutrients which the lawn will not be able to metabolize.
Excessive fertilization - even of an organic product - will cause disruption of
the soil-food web and reduce populations of beneficial soil microorganisms.

Better to fertilize in moderation, water infrequently but deeply and mow high and
often. This practice should result in a strong, healthy lawn with a deep root
system, better able to withstand drought and outcompete weeds.

Old 17-03-2003, 05:32 AM
David Simmons

wrote:

"Gary E" wrote in message
[...]

If you do decide to use weed killer, use a product that contains
triclopr (sometimes spelled tryclopr), which is much more effective on
clover, oxalis, and wild violet than the typical 2,4D and MCPP
combination found in most weedkillers. I think one such product is
Ortho Weed-B-Gon's Clover and Oxalis killer (or something similar; I
remember seeing a purple stripe on the front package). It is not as
toxic a chemical as 2,4D and doesn't have an odor. It probably will
take at least 2 applications to completely kill the clover, but at
least on my lawn, there's no trace of clover (or wild violet), and I
haven't used chemicals for 3 years. It discolors and seems to thin the
grass a little bit though, but wait a month or so and re-seed.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simmons View Post
Phisherman wrote in message ...
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:29:44 -0600, "B & J"

wrote:

"Gary E"
wrote in message
[...]

where can i buy this from?

[IMG] code is On

Weed Killer and Ant Killer that is dog friendly Sam Alexander Lawns 3 02-05-2006 09:56 PM
Broadleaf killer???? Bill Lawns 2 22-04-2006 12:14 AM
Just put down particle-style Broadleaf Weed Killer and Fertilzer. meirman Lawns 1 27-05-2005 04:19 AM
broadleaf weed killer and reseeding lawn Dee Gardening 3 09-08-2003 02:32 AM