GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   CHerokee Purple Tomato-Twisted many many lobed fruit with odd scars (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/100770-cherokee-purple-tomato-twisted-many-many-lobed-fruit-odd-scars.html)

DigitalVinyl 31-07-2005 03:07 PM

CHerokee Purple Tomato-Twisted many many lobed fruit with odd scars

Just wondering if this is typical of this variety.

I've got a number of mutant looking fruits. They all have heavily
ribbed shoulders, some quite heart shaped. But the really
mutant-looking ones look like two and three plum tomatoes cojoined.
Some have rough dried trailing scars along a ridge, near bottom or
sligtly to the side of the boottom. It almost looks like the tip where
the flower was stretched out, and stretched and stretched. They don't
look like anything got inside the scar, but they are hard to examine.
One is wrapped around 2/3 of the stem, growing like a partially eaten
donut around it.

This is my first try with Cherokee Purple. The plant looks healthy and
but is only about a 30" bush right now. At least a dozen good size
fruits so far--all green. My brandywine(also new this year, 5 feet
away) is much larger, 4' tall and wider and there is a little blush on
two fruits.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

G Henslee 31-07-2005 04:37 PM

DigitalVinyl wrote:
Just wondering if this is typical of this variety.

I've got a number of mutant looking fruits.

You want mutant looking, grow these:
http://tinyurl.com/86e24

The pic there doesn't do the gnarly looking ones I got, justice.

The first set is usually the worse looking. But they taste wonderful.

Kay Lancaster 31-07-2005 11:42 PM

That's called "catfacing", and whether or not you'll see this depends on
both genetics and environment. More he
http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...8-1121,00.html
http://www.gardeners.com/gardening/c...p?copy_id=5348
http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/catfacing.pdf

BattMeals 01-08-2005 01:51 AM

You have described my cherokee purple plant exactly, except that I'm at
least 6 weeks ahead (California).

Here's a few shots of it: http://mattandodile.com/tomato/

It tasted fine, but was difficult to cut out the scars.

-matt