GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Recommend Tree? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/100875-recommend-tree.html)

Buck Turgidson 02-08-2005 06:16 PM

Recommend Tree?

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, between the sidwalk and street in front of our
suburban sub-division house we have a a 4' wide strip of grass. I'd
like to plant maybe 3 trees on the strip. I am looking for some
recommendations for trees that will grow to a medium size, something
perhaps a bit smaller than a Bradford Pear. I'd also prefer something
that doesn't drop fruit.

I appreciate any recommendations.

[email protected] 02-08-2005 06:32 PM

Go to the public library and see if they have a copy of Dirr's book on
landscape trees.
There's no better resource , and he is more or less based in your neck
of the woods.

Travis 02-08-2005 06:58 PM

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Here in the Mid-Atlantic, between the sidwalk and street in front
of our suburban sub-division house we have a a 4' wide strip of
grass. I'd like to plant maybe 3 trees on the strip. I am looking
for some recommendations for trees that will grow to a medium size,
something perhaps a bit smaller than a Bradford Pear. I'd also
prefer something that doesn't drop fruit.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Your city probably has rules about planting in the strip and a list of
recommended trees. Ask them.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

William Wagner 02-08-2005 07:24 PM

In article ,
"Buck Turgidson" wrote:

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, between the sidwalk and street in front of our
suburban sub-division house we have a a 4' wide strip of grass. I'd
like to plant maybe 3 trees on the strip. I am looking for some
recommendations for trees that will grow to a medium size, something
perhaps a bit smaller than a Bradford Pear. I'd also prefer something
that doesn't drop fruit.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Depending on what is allowed. Consider double flowering fruit trees.
They are sterile or no fruit. Crab apple for instance may be of
interest.

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
This article is posted under fair use rules in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, and is strictly for the educational and informative purposes.

David Bockman 02-08-2005 07:38 PM

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in news:mbm4s2-
:

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, between the sidwalk and street in front of our
suburban sub-division house we have a a 4' wide strip of grass. I'd
like to plant maybe 3 trees on the strip. I am looking for some
recommendations for trees that will grow to a medium size, something
perhaps a bit smaller than a Bradford Pear. I'd also prefer something
that doesn't drop fruit.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Full sun?

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

BetsyB 02-08-2005 08:59 PM

"David Bockman" wrote in message
9.11...
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in news:mbm4s2-
:

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, between the sidwalk and street in front of our
suburban sub-division house we have a a 4' wide strip of grass. I'd
like to plant maybe 3 trees on the strip. I am looking for some
recommendations for trees that will grow to a medium size, something
perhaps a bit smaller than a Bradford Pear. I'd also prefer something
that doesn't drop fruit.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Full sun?

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Check into Mountain Ash. It is colorful and dosen't seem to drop any of the
red berries it grows. I believe it might do well in your area.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/e.../m0015006.html

Buck Turgidson 02-08-2005 09:08 PM

Yes, pretty sunny for most of the day. I am in Fairfax, too.

Cereus-validus....... 03-08-2005 03:09 AM

George C. Scott played Buck Turgidson in the move.

Beware of what those commie pinkos might come up with. Plant only good
sturdy patriotic Republican American trees.

Buck Turgidson 03-08-2005 02:09 PM

What movie? BT is my real name.

Cereus-validus....... 03-08-2005 03:21 PM

Oh no.

That must mean Merkin Muffley is no longer President and his deranged son
Jack "The Ripper" is now running the country!!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/

David Bockman 03-08-2005 05:28 PM

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in news:9e05s2-
:

Yes, pretty sunny for most of the day. I am in Fairfax, too.

Full sun?

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

You have a wide variety from which to choose, I think, bearing in mind the
somewhat restrictive space in which it's growing. This precludes such trees
as Yoshino Cherry or Crabapples (which grow low branches perfect for
headbanging as people try to use the sidewalk). Some tough medium sized
trees include:

Gingko biloba 'Princeton Sentry'-pollution tolerant, incredibly tough,
reliable blazing yellow fall color.
Ulmus americana 'Valley Forge' (ultimately this tree will become very large
and arch out over the street, not necessarily a bad thing)
Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' (select tree forms and use water bags or
irrigate regularly until they are established)
Cotinus obovatus, American Smoketree (tough, drought tolerant tree,
spectacular fall color)
Acer buergerianum, Trident Maple-- Younger trees have an apple green and
buff colored bark that that later silvers before darkening. The bark on
older trees is dark grey, brown, or even black and often there are fissures
and cracks revealing bright orange underbark. Some squarish flakes often
peel off for a mottled, rugged appearance. The apple green and buff colored
twigs and shoots are very pleasing in their fine, ramified appearance
silhouetted in winter, and produce amazing masses of leaves in the growing
seasons. The trunk is strong and rugged, and the root structure is very
pleasant too, with flattening and spread at the soil surface-becoming so
broad sometimes it appears to spread the trunkline right across the soil.
Fall color on the straightish, clean-cut leaf varieties is very, very good.
Mine blush slightly light red before going to a deeper coral red and/or
deep yellow.
Zelkova serrata 'Green Vase' or straight species.