GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can anyone ID this plant ... ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/100876-can-anyone-id-plant.html)

[email protected] 02-08-2005 08:32 PM

Can anyone ID this plant ... ?

Hi

I found this plant at about 5,000' when on the summit of Mt. Washington
on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. this July.

It was growing amongst the old rubble left over when they blasted for
the chairlift years ago. There are wild lupins and heather close by.
The plant is about 4-5" tall and was growing by itself, only one or two
of them close by.

Everyone I've shown this to are totally stumped as to it's identity.

http://131.104.45.233/IMG_0457.JPG

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mark Herbert 02-08-2005 08:51 PM

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi

I found this plant at about 5,000' when on the summit of Mt. Washington
on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. this July.

It was growing amongst the old rubble left over when they blasted for
the chairlift years ago. There are wild lupins and heather close by.
The plant is about 4-5" tall and was growing by itself, only one or two
of them close by.

Everyone I've shown this to are totally stumped as to it's identity.

http://131.104.45.233/IMG_0457.JPG

Indian paintbrush, Castilleja coccinea.

Mark Herbert 02-08-2005 08:55 PM

In article ,
Mark Herbert wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi

I found this plant at about 5,000' when on the summit of Mt. Washington
on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. this July.

It was growing amongst the old rubble left over when they blasted for
the chairlift years ago. There are wild lupins and heather close by.
The plant is about 4-5" tall and was growing by itself, only one or two
of them close by.

Everyone I've shown this to are totally stumped as to it's identity.

http://131.104.45.233/IMG_0457.JPG

Indian paintbrush, Castilleja coccinea.

Actually, it is probably Castilleja integra, or some other Western
species.

[email protected] 02-08-2005 10:15 PM

Think thats it!

http://www.nazflora.org/Castilleja_integra.htm