Old 06-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Kevin J Bailey

Default Cuttings from a grape vine

Can anyone help me on how to take cuttings or successfully root from
layering from a well established outdoor grapevine?
I have tried rooting compound on cuttings in compost in the
greenhouse--nothing. Cuttings in water for about three weeks -- nothing.
Layering vine staked into pot of compost outside off the main plant--
nothing yet.
Any help would be appreciated

Old 06-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Bill B

Kevin J Bailey wrote:
Can anyone help me on how to take cuttings or successfully root from
layering from a well established outdoor grapevine?
I have tried rooting compound on cuttings in compost in the
greenhouse--nothing. Cuttings in water for about three weeks -- nothing.
Layering vine staked into pot of compost outside off the main plant--
nothing yet.
Any help would be appreciated

When all the leaves fall off the vines and the plant is dormant, cut a
half dozen pencil sized cuttings that have at least three buds. Cut the
bottom end of the cuttings on a slant about 1/4 inch below a bud and dip
them in rooting powder. Completely bury them upside down in a coffee
can, with a lid, filled with potting mix. Upside down will cause the
growth hormones to go upwards to the the area where you want roots to
form. Water them lightly, put the cover on and place them in a cool
spot until Spring (you might peek every once in a while to make sure the
mix is still damp). Layering now or potting up now may not work because
the plants are not in a growth cycle---that's what Spring is for. Around
the end of February take a look and you'll probably find lots of roots
and even some shoots starting----that's when you will pot them up.