GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oil Concentrate? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/101106-oil-concentrate.html)

Rolling Thunder 07-08-2005 05:52 PM

Oil Concentrate?

I purchased Hi-Yield grass killer to put a damper on the bermuda grass
starting up in my fescue lawn. The application instructions says to
use 1 oz of the grass killer with 1 oz of oil concentrate. It doesn't
specify what the oil concentrate is. I suspect the oil is for making
sure the grass killer attaches to the grass leaves; sort a like using
dish soap within liquid weed sprays. Anyway, what to use for
oil concentrate? Mineral oil, motor oil (grin), vegetable oil, or
what?

Appreciate your insight,

Thunder

Betty Harris 07-08-2005 08:12 PM

Rolling Thunder sez:

"I purchased Hi-Yield grass killer to put a damper on the bermuda grass

starting up in my fescue lawn. The application instructions says to
use 1 oz of the grass killer with 1 oz of oil concentrate. It doesn't
specify what the oil concentrate is. I suspect the oil is for making
sure the grass killer attaches to the grass leaves; sort a like using
dish soap within liquid weed sprays. Anyway, what to use for
oil concentrate? Mineral oil, motor oil (grin), vegetable oil, or
what?"

Forget it, Pal. Nothing will remove bermuda from fescue without
killing the fescue, too.

Your friend,
Betty

Rolling Thunder 07-08-2005 10:11 PM

On 7 Aug 2005 12:12:15 -0700, "Betty Harris"
wrote:

Rolling Thunder sez:

snip:

Forget it, Pal. Nothing will remove bermuda from fescue without
killing the fescue, too.

Your friend,
Betty

I thought so too but this is suppose to be relatively new and does
specify killing bermuda grass without killing ornamentals and non
summer grasses. So I'm giving it a try.

In any case, does anyone know what oil to use with the weed killer?

Thunder

Tex John 09-08-2005 03:50 PM

Well, certainly let us know if it works! I tried killing bermuda out of St
Augustine and considering how weak the St A is, it died much sooner and for
much longer than the Bermuda ever did!

I know you can buy Neem Oil concentrate at some garden centers and over the
internet...

"Rolling Thunder" wrote in message
On 7 Aug 2005 12:12:15 -0700, "Betty Harris"
wrote:

Rolling Thunder sez:

snip:

Rolling Thunder 10-08-2005 02:13 PM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:50:05 GMT, "Tex John"
wrote:

Well, certainly let us know if it works! I tried killing bermuda out of St
Augustine and considering how weak the St A is, it died much sooner and for
much longer than the Bermuda ever did!

I know you can buy Neem Oil concentrate at some garden centers and over the
internet...

snip:

Humm, my understanding Neem Oil is useful for Japanese Beatles.
Should have used it this year as the beatles were the worst ever
this year.

I'll let ya know. I found out that the oil concentrate is to help
the grass absorb the chemical. I used dish liquid soap instead.
I put some down a couple days ago. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Thunder

Ann 11-08-2005 01:44 AM

Rolling Thunder expounded:

Humm, my understanding Neem Oil is useful for Japanese Beatles.
Should have used it this year as the beatles were the worst ever
this year.

Yea, I sure hate it when those little mopheaded beatles eat my roses!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Rolling Thunder 11-08-2005 02:36 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:44:34 -0400, Ann wrote:

Rolling Thunder expounded:

Humm, my understanding Neem Oil is useful for Japanese Beatles.
Should have used it this year as the beatles were the worst ever
this year.

Yea, I sure hate it when those little mopheaded beatles eat my roses!

They especially liked the yellow roses and the peach trees.

Ann 12-08-2005 12:33 AM

Rolling Thunder expounded:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:44:34 -0400, Ann wrote:

Rolling Thunder expounded:

Humm, my understanding Neem Oil is useful for Japanese Beatles.
Should have used it this year as the beatles were the worst ever
this year.

Yea, I sure hate it when those little mopheaded beatles eat my roses!

They especially liked the yellow roses and the peach trees.

Whoooosh! G

They're beetles, not Beatles.......

Rolling Thunder 16-08-2005 02:26 PM

On 7 Aug 2005 12:12:15 -0700, "Betty Harris"
wrote:

Rolling Thunder sez:

"I purchased Hi-Yield grass killer to put a damper on the bermuda grass

starting up in my fescue lawn. The application instructions says to
use 1 oz of the grass killer with 1 oz of oil concentrate. It doesn't
specify what the oil concentrate is. I suspect the oil is for making
sure the grass killer attaches to the grass leaves; sort a like using
dish soap within liquid weed sprays. Anyway, what to use for
oil concentrate? Mineral oil, motor oil (grin), vegetable oil, or
what?"

Forget it, Pal. Nothing will remove bermuda from fescue without
killing the fescue, too.

Your friend,
Betty

Well Betty, I now beg to differ. It appears to be working. A week
after applying the Hi-Yield the bermuda grass is dying and the
fescue is chuggin' along. Same story with a neighbor. He
tried it and the benightedness leaves are dead. It may be
still a little early to be conclusive but the results are very
favorable.

Your friend,

Thunder

Rolling Thunder 16-08-2005 02:27 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:33:25 -0400, Ann wrote:

Rolling Thunder expounded:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:44:34 -0400, Ann wrote:

Rolling Thunder expounded:

Humm, my understanding Neem Oil is useful for Japanese Beatles.
Should have used it this year as the beatles were the worst ever
this year.

Yea, I sure hate it when those little mopheaded beatles eat my roses!

They especially liked the yellow roses and the peach trees.

Whoooosh! G

They're beetles, not Beatles.......

Just showed my aga, I guess. Come on Lucy!