Old 11-08-2005, 10:30 AM
presley

Default punishment for greedy neighbors

As my oriental lilies went into full bloom this week, I tied them up to the
stakes next to them to hold the heads up, which were starting to bend under
the weight of the blossoms. The very next day, when I went outside to admire
them, I saw that someone had come and clipped every stem off - not broken
off, like a child would do, but with a pruner, so it was clearly
premeditated - probably as they watched me tie the plants up. I was furious,
which I think all the gardeners reading this can understand very well. So
I'm opening up this thread to get suggestions for revenge.....or at least to
allow others to vent if they have had similar experiences.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Ann

"presley" expounded:

As my oriental lilies went into full bloom this week, I tied them up to the
stakes next to them to hold the heads up, which were starting to bend under
the weight of the blossoms. The very next day, when I went outside to admire
them, I saw that someone had come and clipped every stem off - not broken
off, like a child would do, but with a pruner, so it was clearly
premeditated - probably as they watched me tie the plants up. I was furious,
which I think all the gardeners reading this can understand very well. So
I'm opening up this thread to get suggestions for revenge.....or at least to
allow others to vent if they have had similar experiences.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, but keep in mind it may not be your
neighbors. There are plenty of garden thefts where drive-bys come
back at night and help themselves, to complete plants, even. I have
no idea how you'd secure lily plants (
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Doug Kanter

"presley" wrote in message
As my oriental lilies went into full bloom this week, I tied them up to
the stakes next to them to hold the heads up, which were starting to bend
under the weight of the blossoms. The very next day, when I went outside
to admire them, I saw that someone had come and clipped every stem off -
not broken off, like a child would do, but with a pruner, so it was
clearly premeditated - probably as they watched me tie the plants up. I
was furious, which I think all the gardeners reading this can understand
very well. So I'm opening up this thread to get suggestions for
revenge.....or at least to allow others to vent if they have had similar
experiences.

Revenge? First you have to figure out who did it. If you do, I think small
claims court would be appropriate. Time in the garden is worth at least $200
per hour, right? :-) You're entitled to a settlement that'll eat up
someone's life savings.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Vox Humana

"presley" wrote in message
As my oriental lilies went into full bloom this week, I tied them up to

the
stakes next to them to hold the heads up, which were starting to bend

under
the weight of the blossoms. The very next day, when I went outside to

admire
them, I saw that someone had come and clipped every stem off - not broken
off, like a child would do, but with a pruner, so it was clearly
premeditated - probably as they watched me tie the plants up. I was

furious,
which I think all the gardeners reading this can understand very well. So
I'm opening up this thread to get suggestions for revenge.....or at least

allow others to vent if they have had similar experiences.

It could have been rabbits. They LOVE my lilies, passing up all else to eat
them.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM

presley wrote:
As my oriental lilies went into full bloom this week, I tied them up to the
stakes next to them to hold the heads up, which were starting to bend under
the weight of the blossoms. The very next day, when I went outside to admire
them, I saw that someone had come and clipped every stem off - not broken
off, like a child would do, but with a pruner, so it was clearly
premeditated - probably as they watched me tie the plants up. I was furious,
which I think all the gardeners reading this can understand very well. So
I'm opening up this thread to get suggestions for revenge.....or at least to
allow others to vent if they have had similar experiences.

Are you SURE it was neighbors? I've had mine look the same way, but it
was deer that did it. It looked just like it had been done with
pruners. One evening after dark, I turned into my driveway and caught
the deer doing it. As I turn into my driveway, my headlights pass
across that particular garden. That evening, one of the deer froze in
the headlights with its mouth still on one oriental lily! If I could
have driven up that retaining wall...

If you mean that they were clipped off at down toward the bottom like
someone would to make a bouquet with them, then maybe you are right
though. You didn't say how far down they had been clipped off. The
deer at my house only ate the tops off and left the nice green stems
decapitated.

Good luck!

Lisa

Old 11-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
presley wrote:
[...]

A deer here has been pruning my caged cherry tomato plant. What's
interesting is that two night ago, it clipped a branch that was 6" above my
head. I'm 6'2". That's a big deer.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 PM
paghat

In article , "presley"
wrote:

As my oriental lilies went into full bloom this week, I tied them up to the
stakes next to them to hold the heads up, which were starting to bend under
the weight of the blossoms. The very next day, when I went outside to admire
them, I saw that someone had come and clipped every stem off - not broken
off, like a child would do, but with a pruner, so it was clearly
premeditated - probably as they watched me tie the plants up. I was furious,
which I think all the gardeners reading this can understand very well. So
I'm opening up this thread to get suggestions for revenge.....or at least to
allow others to vent if they have had similar experiences.

Dunno how you could get revenge without knowing who dunnit, & dunno if
it'd be any fun to be creating a world for oneself where attempting
revenge was any kind of priority, out there painting some grotesquely
smelling skunky chemical on the stems of the likeliest thefts.

This year some passerby took a bouquet of gigantic white irises as soon as
they were opened, so I got to aprpeciate them for one day; earlier someone
had picked an entire group of fluffy pink & green tulips. This happens
rarely enough i try to take it in stride. But the audacity of thieves can
be startling. Next door at Sue's, a woman driving by in a van with her
children pulled over to the curve, jumped out & ran into the side-yard
with a large pair of scissors, & began practically underlimbing a lilac
tree to get the nicest blooms. Sue ran out of the house & chased her back
to her van, & the thief roared off with a stunned Sue too surprised to
even think about taking down the liscense plate -- & what would police do
anyway, "Officer, she was picking flowers! Track her down & arrest her!"

I've taken to planting by the sidewalk a few things that can stand a
little random picking, & I even plant some things with the neighborhood
kids in mind, as I think kids SHOULD be able to pick flowers, plus if they
can get some easy ones freely on the sidewalk they won't be as tempted to
come into the inner gardens & take lilies or irises or whatever I don't
want picked. Permissible pickings by the sidewalk are like those little
bars of soap in hotels -- everyone wants to steal, & if that need is met
by a little bar of soap, maybe they won't take the towels, bedspread, &
television.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 11-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
what would police do
anyway, "Officer, she was picking flowers! Track her down & arrest her!"

It's called civil trespass, and it's open to a wide array of
interpretations, most of which leave the violator without a leg to stand on
in court.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Jan Flora

In article ,
"presley" wrote:

As my oriental lilies went into full bloom this week, I tied them up to the
stakes next to them to hold the heads up, which were starting to bend under
the weight of the blossoms. The very next day, when I went outside to admire
them, I saw that someone had come and clipped every stem off - not broken
off, like a child would do, but with a pruner, so it was clearly
premeditated - probably as they watched me tie the plants up. I was furious,
which I think all the gardeners reading this can understand very well. So
I'm opening up this thread to get suggestions for revenge.....or at least to
allow others to vent if they have had similar experiences.

The thought of a tiger pit with pungee sticks comes to mind...

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from (paghat) contains these words:

Dunno how you could get revenge without knowing who dunnit,

Ask George Bush :-(

Janet

Old 11-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

A deer here has been pruning my caged cherry tomato plant. What's
interesting is that two night ago, it clipped a branch that was 6" above my
head. I'm 6'2". That's a big deer.

I hate to tell you this Doug, but I have often seen deer standing
upright on their back legs to reach high browse.

Soon, they'll start carrying mobile phones "Sweethheart, I'll be late
home tonight..I had to stop by the Kanters' place to pick up some stuff.
Don't wait supper".

Janet.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

A deer here has been pruning my caged cherry tomato plant. What's
interesting is that two night ago, it clipped a branch that was 6" above
my
head. I'm 6'2". That's a big deer.

I hate to tell you this Doug, but I have often seen deer standing
upright on their back legs to reach high browse.

Soon, they'll start carrying mobile phones "Sweethheart, I'll be late
home tonight..I had to stop by the Kanters' place to pick up some stuff.
Don't wait supper".

Janet.

Sigh.....

The big fence goes in next near. Until then, I'm stuck with the problem. Not
enough cash this year.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:27 PM
dicko

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:44:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

A deer here has been pruning my caged cherry tomato plant. What's
interesting is that two night ago, it clipped a branch that was 6" above my
head. I'm 6'2". That's a big deer.

You've never seen a deer standing on its rear feet then. I had a bird
feeder that was 6 ft off the ground. I came home one night and there
were 2 deer sucking it dry, both upright on their rear feet. It was
absolutely hilarious to see them doing that.

dickm