Old 16-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Spud Demon

Default Recommendations for lawn edge tool

My grass is growing sideways across my sidewalk and into the street. With
240' of sidewalk, this is 720' of "edge" that I have to trim (both sides of
the sidewalk plus one side of the street). I have an electric string
trimmer, but it will take me all day with that. There is thatch and dirt
encroaching on the sidewalk.

Any recommendations for a tool (gas or electric) to take care of this
quickly?

--Spud Demon spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
Old 16-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Toni

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
My grass is growing sideways across my sidewalk and into the street. With
240' of sidewalk, this is 720' of "edge" that I have to trim (both sides

of
the sidewalk plus one side of the street). I have an electric string
trimmer, but it will take me all day with that. There is thatch and dirt
encroaching on the sidewalk.

Any recommendations for a tool (gas or electric) to take care of this
quickly?

An edger?

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 16-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Spud Demon

"Toni" writes in article dated Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:50:10 -0400:

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
My grass is growing sideways across my sidewalk and into the street. With
240' of sidewalk, this is 720' of "edge" that I have to trim (both sides

of
the sidewalk plus one side of the street). I have an electric string
trimmer, but it will take me all day with that. There is thatch and dirt
encroaching on the sidewalk.

Any recommendations for a tool (gas or electric) to take care of this
quickly?

An edger?

OK... followup question: What kind do you have, and is it any good?

--Spud Demon spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
Old 16-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Vox Humana

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
My grass is growing sideways across my sidewalk and into the street. With
240' of sidewalk, this is 720' of "edge" that I have to trim (both sides

of
the sidewalk plus one side of the street). I have an electric string
trimmer, but it will take me all day with that. There is thatch and dirt
encroaching on the sidewalk.

Any recommendations for a tool (gas or electric) to take care of this
quickly?

I would also recommend getting a dedicated edger for that much work. I have
an edger attachment for my trimmer. It is only adequate, but I have very
little to edge. My mother has a gasoline powered Craftsman edger that does
a great job. Unless you have a number of well positioned outlets, I would
forget the electric model. While I like electric yard tools for a number of
reasons, they aren't really suitable for large jobs.

You will probably have to spend around $300 for a decent edger. If you are
only planning to use it once or twice a year, you might check out the prices
at rental centers. I would imagine that you could rent an edger for 4 hours
for around $25. Renting would also give you a chance to try this type of
equipment and see if it meets your needs.

Old 16-08-2005, 05:29 PM
dps

I have a Stihl string trimmer with an edging attachment. I find it
generally useful for keeping things fairly neat, although I'm not very
good at making finish cuts with the string trimmer. I tend to use it on
brush too much. I have an edging attachment for it. It's basically a
blade which spins in a vertical plane and a couple of wheels to run it
along the pavement (or mulch bed) so it digs in a uniform amount. Don't
remember the total cost, probably $350-450 for both the trimmer and the
edger attachment.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a pain to switch
attachments. The shaft has a small (~1/4") square drive that has to fit
into a square socket in a recessed area of the trimmer or edger. The
attachment then clamps to the shaft. After some debris builds up on the
shaft, it's a bit difficult to slide on the attachment. It's doubly
difficult when the square drive and socket have to line up to get it in
properly.

Other than that, it does a good job on light weeds (string trimmer) and
edges (edger). I also have a solid blade for the trimmer that can take
out 1/2" diameter brush easily and 1" brush with a little work.

2 cycle engine, takes gas/oil mix. Take a gas can and write gas/oil on
it in permanent black marker. Mark your other gas can(s) "Regular Gas"
(or whatever) so you don't mix them up. Use large type so you can read
it from a distance. The markings require retouching every couple of years.

Wear hearing protection (it's a noisy buzzy thing) and eye protection.
I've tried a chainsaw helmet with a screen faceguard, but the trimmer
can kick up sand, which can go through the screen. Use goggles and plan
on replacing them every couple of years when they get too scratched up
to see through.

Old 16-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Vox Humana

"dps" wrote in message
[...]

I have the same set-up, different brand. It's OK for my small yard, but I
wouldn't want to maintain 700+ feet of edging. I generally do my mother's
property about once a year and I know that my small edger wouldn't cut it.
It may be OK to maintain the area after it was done. I don't have much luck
edging with the string trimmer. I always manage to mutilate the lawn and
the string pelts me with all the debris that migrates to the edge

Old 16-08-2005, 07:43 PM

I'd still spend a couple of hours with a sharpened spade.
It's really going to be the most pleasant method for the initial dirt
and sod removal. Wear hard shoes and do about 100' at a time.

Old 16-08-2005, 08:15 PM
dps

Vox Humana wrote:
... I have the same set-up, different brand. It's OK for my small yard, but I
wouldn't want to maintain 700+ feet of edging...

I use it on garden row borders, around 2600 ft total (commercial cut
flowers/herbs) at probably 2 or 3 week intervals. I run through a edger
blade every year or so, but they only cost around $3

...I don't have much luck
edging with the string trimmer. I always manage to mutilate the lawn and
the string pelts me with all the debris that migrates to the edge

That's one reason I got the edger attachment. It's also the reason I
recommended eye protection.
Old 16-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Toni

"Spud Demon" wrote in message

OK... followup question: What kind do you have, and is it any good?

Ours is a 100 year old gas powered Briggs and Stratton that was given to us.
A bit of blade sharpening was all it needed.

Tried the string trimmer method and the result was not neat enough to suit
my obsessive tendencies.
Tried a string trimmer attachment edger and it eventually balked at my St.
Augustine stolons.
Tried a straight-edged shovel and the husband made trenches instead of a
neat straight line.
Tried on of those half moon "step on it" manual edgers which worked quite
well until the handle rotted off.

The dedicated gas edger is really the way to go if you have tough grass and
want a perfectly neat, straight result. Which IMO is the whole point but
other folks aren't always so particular.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 16-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Vox Humana

"dps" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
... I have the same set-up, different brand. It's OK for my small yard,

but I
wouldn't want to maintain 700+ feet of edging...

I use it on garden row borders, around 2600 ft total (commercial cut
flowers/herbs) at probably 2 or 3 week intervals. I run through a edger
blade every year or so, but they only cost around $3

I'll have to try the edger attachment on my beds. I also have hundreds of
feet of edging around beds that I do once a year with my Lee Valley sold
lifter.

Old 17-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Spud Demon

"Vox Humana" writes in article dated Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:08:20 GMT:

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to Vox and all others who replied!

I probably wouldn't use it more than a couple of times a year, and there is
a rental place nearby that probably has them, so maybe I will do that.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for having the thing in my
garage when I need it, and there are a couple of high(er)-power electric
models:

Black & Decker LE750 Edge Hog (2.5 HP, 11 Amp)
Craftsman #79654 12 Amp landscape edger

Anybody have comments on these?

The Black & Decker seems to have mixed reviews depending on whether the
motor burned out or not. If I do get one of these I will definitly ask for
the extended warranty!

Getting power to the sidewalk is no problem, I have two outlets and one 100'
extension cord that will cover it. (It's not all straight sidewalk; I'm on
a corner.)

--Spud Demon spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
Old 17-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Vox Humana

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
[...]

Make sure the extension cord is adequate. A long, light-weight cord might
shorten the life of the motor.

Old 18-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Salty Thumb

(Spud Demon) wrote in
:

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
[...]

Are you going to edge along a concrete perimeter? I always thought that
was insane, but it wasn't until recently I knew that you could edge
between two soil edges to stop grass encroachment so what do I know.

If you are thinking of buying a mini-tiller/cultivator, some of them also
have edging attachments. You could probably get a Honda Harmony FG1xx
with edger (= blade + wheel) for around $300. I have an FG100, no
problems with starting, but it's a bugger to get the tines off. I think
the edging attachment is $30 seperately, now I am thinking of buying it.
Old 21-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Rob Mills

"Spud Demon" wrote

Any recommendations for a tool (gas or electric) to take care of this

quickly?

Have a really bad so shoulder so shy away from anything that you have to
pull to start. Have been using a corded electric Ryobi (it uses an .080
line) for the last 6 or 7 years, it works as well (in some cases better) as
any gas eater (in the .080 line class) that I have used in the past. RM~

PS, I like the Echo .080 hex line on it.

Old 22-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Rob Mills

"Rob Mills" wrote in message

Have been using a corded electric Ryobi

Forgot to mention that they sell for $59 at Home Depot. RM~

[IMG] code is On

Tool for burying dripline in lawn bob prohaska Gardening 6 05-04-2016 04:36 AM
Lawn edge care Julz Lawns 2 26-05-2011 08:58 PM
best aeration tool for lawn weedkiller United Kingdom 4 06-02-2006 05:13 PM
Dandelion Removal Lawn Tool J.C. Lord Corp Lawns 0 12-05-2004 02:06 AM
Plants for a pond edge Neil Law Ponds 5 20-03-2003 04:56 PM