Old 16-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Paul

Default Windmill Palm question

I live in Dallas, TX and have a Windmill Palm that has been doing quite
well for the last 3 years until recently.

It is planted in the ground in our backyard and receives partial sun
and is watered as well as fertilized regularly.

Recently one of the new fronds poked up but not nearly as far as
previous ones have.

Then the frond spread out without gaining any more height (the frond
came up just far enough to spread completely).

2 more fronds have now poked up but not as far and they are now
spreading (note these fronds are still partially in the trunk and are
not able to spread completely).

The palm looks fine and appears to be in good health. We also have a
Mexican Fan in our backyard that is doing very well with no signs of
problems.

Any idea what's going on here? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA!

Old 16-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Mites can create stunting....how do you know it is well watered?
What kind of fertilizer?

On 16 Aug 2005 09:56:51 -0700, "Paul"
wrote:

[...]

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold
Old 16-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Paul

Thanks for the reply!

My backyard is on my sprinkler system and that station waters 3 times a
week for 15 minutes plus some additional watering when I give the
hibiscus a drink.

I bought the fertilizer awhile back and it is specifically for Palms
but I don't have the details with me (it's a granular type that you
work into the soil and I remember the label said to use it during the
spring, summer, and fall).

How do you know if you have mites and what can you do to treat them?

Thanks!

Old 16-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On 16 Aug 2005 11:29:03 -0700, "Paul"
wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

My backyard is on my sprinkler system and that station waters 3 times a
week for 15 minutes plus some additional watering when I give the
hibiscus a drink.

OK so here's a potential problem...clocks are automatic, but not
clairvoyant! It could be that the T. fortunei is to dry!!!! There is
no substitute for a dirty finger checking soil moisture....I always
evaluate my palms by using an soil probe (sampling probe)

I bought the fertilizer awhile back and it is specifically for Palms
but I don't have the details with me (it's a granular type that you
work into the soil and I remember the label said to use it during the
spring, summer, and fall).

Sometimes the stunting can be a magnesium deficiency! It's important
to know what the contents are of the palm fertilizer you used....Mn
and Mg deficiencies are common in many palms....

How do you know if you have mites and what can you do to treat them?

magnifying glass....hort oils can be effective....

Thanks!

Oh and don't forget some compost tea to improve soil biology....

Old 16-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Paul

Thanks again for the input!

The fertilizer is from Turf Magic and is 8-8-8 with .60% MG.

Old 17-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Tom Jaszewski

The generally accepted proportions for a palm fertilizer is 3-1-3, not
1-1-1 as you used. Turf magic will leave you palms deficient
especially in MN and Mg!!! I use a 13-5-13 and add Mn and Mg
feedings!!! BTW This applies to cycads as well.