GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Good site for id-ing a thistle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/101562-good-site-id-ing-thistle.html)

Cheryl Isaak 19-08-2005 02:16 PM

Good site for id-ing a thistle

Hello!

My Mom has the wildest plant growing her in compost bed! It looks almost
like sow thistle, but not quite right - the leaves are more sharply than
gently lobed and it is over 12 feet tall.

Location - on Cape Cod (MA)

Her local master gardener has no clue.

Cheryl

Jenny 19-08-2005 03:26 PM

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Hello!

My Mom has the wildest plant growing her in compost bed! It looks almost
like sow thistle, but not quite right - the leaves are more sharply than
gently lobed and it is over 12 feet tall.

Location - on Cape Cod (MA)

Her local master gardener has no clue.

Cheryl

I hope it isn't a giant hogweed. They have been found growing in W.
Mass. The sap is highly toxic and causes blisters that lead to scarring.

Here's a site with details.
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/hogweed.htm

--Jenny

http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/ Type 2 Diabetes info
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/ Low Carb info

Cheryl Isaak 19-08-2005 04:21 PM

On 8/19/05 10:26 AM, in article , "Jenny"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Hello!

My Mom has the wildest plant growing her in compost bed! It looks almost
like sow thistle, but not quite right - the leaves are more sharply than
gently lobed and it is over 12 feet tall.

Location - on Cape Cod (MA)

Her local master gardener has no clue.

Cheryl

I hope it isn't a giant hogweed. They have been found growing in W.
Mass. The sap is highly toxic and causes blisters that lead to scarring.

Here's a site with details.
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/hogweed.htm

--Jenny

Nope - flowers are all wrong for a giant hogweed.