GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Saving squash seeds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/101656-saving-squash-seeds.html)

zxcvbob 21-08-2005 07:06 PM

Saving squash seeds?

(notice the followup header to r.g.e.)

How mature does a squash need to be for you to sucessfully save the
seeds? I let a volunteer squash vine grow in my garden this year
(actually I transplanted it from a path to a big bed where it could run)
and it turned out to be an odd variety that I've never grown before but
like very much. It's probably a cross between a Tatume that I grew a
few years ago and a yellow straightneck or crookneck. The vines run and
branch like a pumpkin vine (like the Tatume), but stay relatively short.

While I was out of town for 3 weeks, it set its first few fruits, and I
picked the big hard-shelled squash when I got back. The seeds are
full-sized, but the shell of the squash was still soft enough I could
scratch it with my thumbnail, barely. The plant has started bearing
good again, and I don't really want to let another fruit mature on the
vine and have the plant shut down again.

I still have one of those 4 big fruits that I haven't cut yet if the
seeds will continue to ripen off the vine fruit. It has been sitting on
the kitchen counter for 2 weeks and shows no signs of rotting, if that's
any indication how mature it is.

I suppose I could test the germination of the seeds that I saved, but I
don't know if they need a few months dormancy before they will sprout.

Thanks, regards,
Bob