GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tree question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/101694-tree-question.html)

[email protected] 22-08-2005 01:18 PM

tree question

We're FL natives on vacation in NC, where we occassionally see large,
tightly wound cobwebs on branches in trees. What insect or creature
creates these cobwebs?

pam 22-08-2005 01:52 PM

Most likely tent caterpillars.

oups.com...

Toni 22-08-2005 03:04 PM

"pam" wrote in message
Most likely tent caterpillars.

Jusr reminded me- as small children in the 50's we collected these
caterpillars and actually sold them door to door!
And amazingly some folks actually bought them. I think we asked maybe two
cents apiece- just enough for ice cream money. I can't imagine that many
children would be met with such willing door answerers nowadays!

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Jean 23-08-2005 12:50 AM

Toni wrote:

Jusr reminded me- as small children in the 50's we collected these
caterpillars and actually sold them door to door!
And amazingly some folks actually bought them. I think we asked maybe two
cents apiece- just enough for ice cream money. I can't imagine that many
children would be met with such willing door answerers nowadays!

When I was a kid we tried to sell Buckeyes. Once they started falling it
was a race to see who could gather the most. I only remember one person
buying them though. And I never could make holes in them to thread them.
Bet I was the only girl on our street without a necklace.

Jean
Zone 5 OH
Go Tribe!