Old 23-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Gideon

Default Grape Vines and Radical Pruning

I inherited many well established Concord grape vines which a previous
owner had planted about 35 years ago. For several reasons, I would like
to cut these plants as low as possible and allow them to grow back.
(These vines were never properly trained; I need to replace portions of the
fences that the plants are growing upon; etc.)

Is this reasonable and are there any special steps I should take? I do
not want to start new plants from cuttings or from purchased plants. The
existing plants have great established roots systems which I would like
to utilize.

Gideon

Old 23-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

Gideon wrote:

I inherited many well established Concord grape vines which a previous
owner had planted about 35 years ago. For several reasons, I would like
to cut these plants as low as possible and allow them to grow back.
(These vines were never properly trained; I need to replace portions of
the fences that the plants are growing upon; etc.)

Is this reasonable and are there any special steps I should take? I do
not want to start new plants from cuttings or from purchased plants. The
existing plants have great established roots systems which I would like
to utilize.

Gideon

Should work fine - Just wait until dormancy to prune.
Old 24-08-2005, 02:51 AM
simy1

I have done it as Paul says, no problem. It is very bad to cut vines in
the spring, all cutting needs to be done in the fall after the leaves
are gone - no exceptions. Also of note, I was able to move one vine
(one inch thick in my case) six feet by burying it midstem, and cutting
the vine rootside of the buried portion the next fall. They need water
and fertilizer to produce properly, and of course protection from
birds.

Old 24-08-2005, 05:43 AM
zxcvbob

Gideon wrote:
I inherited many well established Concord grape vines which a previous
owner had planted about 35 years ago. For several reasons, I would like
to cut these plants as low as possible and allow them to grow back.
(These vines were never properly trained; I need to replace portions of the
fences that the plants are growing upon; etc.)

Is this reasonable and are there any special steps I should take? I do
not want to start new plants from cuttings or from purchased plants. The
existing plants have great established roots systems which I would like
to utilize.

Gideon

Grape vines *like* radical pruning. Just make sure you do it at the
right time of the year.

-Bob

[IMG] code is On

Advice on pruning neglected grape vines? Jonathan Sachs[_3_] Gardening 14 18-01-2011 07:21 PM
epigeal dicot seedling anatomy radical-hypocotyl transition zone gigi1234 Plant Science 0 07-01-2008 07:23 PM
radical tree surgery FACE Gardening 13 12-10-2004 06:41 AM
radical pruning of Pivet hedge results Other Brother Kevin Gardening 1 08-08-2003 07:04 PM
radical acer pruning? Tumbleweed United Kingdom 1 27-05-2003 02:57 PM