Old 12-03-2003, 01:56 AM
J. Farnsworth Wallaby

Default Weeds...Weeds...Weeds

Hello All!

Does anyone have a "pictorial" website for these dreaded of all growing
things so I can i.d. them?

Several chemical companies have "selective" herbicides to take out
things like broadleaf & dandelions yet not harm ice plant or surrounding
plant material. I want to be sure that I'm not killing a milkweed that
some butterflies use for a host plant.

All assistance will be most gratefully received!

Alan...USDA 9b...Sunset # 19

Old 12-03-2003, 03:57 AM
SugarChile

This one has some good pictures:

http://www.grassrootslawncare.com/lawnprob.html

It does have background muzak, so turn down your speakers first.

I commend your attitude towards sparing milkweeds. Have you considered
taking it a step further and learning to live with other weeds as well?
There are broadleaf weeds, such as violets, that provide larval food for
caterpillars, and dandelions are a source of nectar for bees.

I'm glad you're educating yourself before applying herbicides.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 14-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Sed5555

Does anyone have a "pictorial" website for these dreaded of all growing
things so I can i.d. them?

Try this site. There are pictures for ID on 25 common weeds:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Weed/weeds.htm
sed5555
Old 14-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:53:06 -0800, "J. Farnsworth Wallaby"
wrote:

Does anyone have a "pictorial" website for these dreaded of all growing
things so I can i.d. them?

Several chemical companies have "selective" herbicides to take out
things like broadleaf & dandelions yet not harm ice plant or surrounding
plant material. I want to be sure that I'm not killing a milkweed that
some butterflies use for a host plant.

Weed ID is difficult, at least finding out which you have. You kind of
have to know what it is to go looking. Posting a photo to
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, or your own webspace is most helpful.

Alas, it's also difficult to sort OK weeds from the ones you really
hate, and find a specific treatment that shares your judgement. I'm
not (any longer) in iceplant territory, but 'broadleaf' pretty much
means any non-waxy things with leafy-looking leaves -- dandelion,
mint, tomato, whatever. A broadleaf treatment does well for lawns
where the leaf difference pretty much defines "lawn" and "weed."

Meticulous application is another way to go. If you have the time,
Round-Up can be painted onto individual plants. I don't know it it's
still available, but I used to go around squirting individual
dandelions with a can of foam Weed-be-gone that was very effective.
Just because you *can* spray wholesale doesn't mean you have to.
Old 14-03-2003, 11:09 PM
burl

Here's a link to id noxious weeds in the Pacific Northwest
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/weeds/weedpics.htm

Each state, many political subdivisions and colleges will have an ecology,
natural resource, or agriculture department that tracks the weeds that are
considered Noxious Weeds for that area. If you use google.com and do a
search for your state and the word noxious you should find some good local
resources.

If you're working on a weed problem in a lawn you'll want to look at issues
why the grass thriving well enough to out compete the weeds. Usually you can
keep the weeds at bay by getting the soil in balance.

Burl

"J. Farnsworth Wallaby" wrote in message
Hello All!

Does anyone have a "pictorial" website for these dreaded of all growing
things so I can i.d. them?

Several chemical companies have "selective" herbicides to take out
things like broadleaf & dandelions yet not harm ice plant or surrounding
plant material. I want to be sure that I'm not killing a milkweed that
some butterflies use for a host plant.

All assistance will be most gratefully received!

Alan...USDA 9b...Sunset # 19

[IMG] code is On

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Clearing fruit patch of weeds Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 05:00 PM