Old 25-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Hal

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:51:33 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

Ol' Duffer wrote:
I'd like to have a tap and die set in 5/8" NPT.

Why am I posting here? Because I bet nearly all of
you have lots of stuff in this size and didn't even
know it. I believe it happens to be garden hose size.

I have an exterior faucet with the threads grown up
with mineral deposits so that I can no longer get a
hose screwed on, and would like to chase the threads.

For some obscure reason, all standard tap and die sets
for plumbing skip from 1/2" to 3/4", yet 5/8" became
the standard for garden (and some washer) hoses.

Obviously, the folks who make faucets and garden hose
stuff have tools to make these threads. Anyone familiar
enough to point me to a source?

Use a wire brush.

Good advice, because the hose bib thread is not a NPT (tapered thread)
It is a straight thread that does not seal on the thread, but requires
a washer seal. A tap and die for that thread, in the hands of a
DIY'er would be unusual indeed. You might also consider changing the
bib.

Regards,

Hal
Old 22-03-2006, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
mike

Default Hose bib thread chasing tool

Yes, there is such a tool. It will be offered soon on the internet.
The tool used to be sold through a mailorder company years ago, and
will be available again soon. There are tens of thousands in use now.
Price will be in the ballpark of $9.95 plus S&H.
It "chases" the threads on hose bibs, then a cutting blade surfaces
the washer seat to restore the hose bib connection. Was popular among
home owners and RV's ers when they were available. (Hose bibs in RV
parks often have damaged threads, and or washer seats.)
It can also be used to "true" the male end of a hose in the event it
is smashed...like when you run over it with a car.
If you want to be on the list once the first order arrives soon from
manufacturer, just let me know and I'll advise when ready to ship.
Web site should be up and you can order online within a month or so.
If you need one immediately, I could probably get one to you.

Old 23-03-2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ol' Duffer

I looked and asked for one of these every likely place I could
think of last year, and mostly got blank stares. Yes, I am
interested, and here's an e-mail you can send to:

In article , mrobert365@aol-dot-
com.no-spam.invalid says...