GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   No trumpets on my trumpet vines. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/101809-no-trumpets-my-trumpet-vines.html)

Kramer 24-08-2005 06:05 PM

No trumpets on my trumpet vines.

A year ago spring, in S. Florid, I planted two troupe vine plants at
the base of a fan trellis. Last summer they grow about 6 feet and did
not blossom. I felt that was probably normal for the first year. This
year, the vines won;t stop growing, I have to keep cutting them back.
However, I can't find a single bud on them.

Anyone know why?

Kramer
William Redding
Medical Researcher at
www.linkable.org
Learn a language at
www.ITeachOonline.com

Ol' Duffer 24-08-2005 11:18 PM

In article , nemesis7
@mindspring.com says...
A year ago spring, in S. Florid, I planted two troupe vine plants at
the base of a fan trellis. Last summer they grow about 6 feet and did
not blossom. I felt that was probably normal for the first year. This
year, the vines won;t stop growing, I have to keep cutting them back.
However, I can't find a single bud on them.

Anyone know why?

The short answer - because you keep cutting them back.
Trumpet vines like to climb tall trees and bloom in the top.

Gary 24-08-2005 11:25 PM

It is my understanding that trumpet vines bloom on last year's wood, so
if you cut off that wood, the vine will not bloom. Also, I found that
my trumpet vine produced more blooms when I cut back a nearby tree,
thereby giving the vine more direct sun.
Hope this is helpful,
Gary

[email protected] 25-08-2005 01:52 AM

Trumpet vines flower on new growth. It may take a few years for
flowers to appear. Height and or/trimming/not trimming wont affect
blooming. Dont fertilize them, and wait a year, they will eventually
flower.

Toad

Bert Byfield 25-08-2005 04:31 AM

Trumpet vines flower on new growth. It may take a few years for
flowers to appear. Height and or/trimming/not trimming wont affect
blooming. Dont fertilize them, and wait a year, they will eventually
flower. Toad

Stopping them, in fact, would be a major effort.

Kramer 25-08-2005 05:44 PM

I thank all you wonderful green thumbers. ( Is thumbers a new word,
okr did I just invent it?)

Kramer
William Redding
Medical Researcher at