Old 29-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Bonnie

Default Help-Yellow Jackets!!!

We have a ton of yellow jackets around this year! We did spray some of the
nests but one is in our cellar window well. They seem to have found an
opening into the framework around the window and are somewhere inside the
cement block foundation. They are constantly flying in and out all day! We
tried spraying but we don't see an opening,they are so quick! Is there
anything else we can do to eliminate them?They are in an area where my dogs
are kept so every time the dogs go near they attack!ANY help would be
appreciated!
Bonnie

Old 29-08-2005, 03:06 PM
zxcvbob

Bonnie wrote:
We have a ton of yellow jackets around this year! We did spray some of the
nests but one is in our cellar window well. They seem to have found an
opening into the framework around the window and are somewhere inside the
cement block foundation. They are constantly flying in and out all day! We
tried spraying but we don't see an opening,they are so quick! Is there
anything else we can do to eliminate them?They are in an area where my dogs
are kept so every time the dogs go near they attack!ANY help would be
appreciated!
Bonnie

If you can find the crack where they are going in and out, use a
pesticide *dust* rather than spray. I usually use methoxychlor 50WP,
but Sevin 10P should work (Sevin stains carpets, so be careful with it)
Apply the dust dry, so the wasps will get it on their feet when they
walk thru and will track it into the nest. It'll kill the whole hive in
a day or two.

-Bob
Old 29-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Jmagerl

A previous thread suggested using a shop vac near the opening (running all
day) to cut their numbers down. I agree 100% with the use a powder instead
of a spray.

Old 29-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Anonny Moose

"Bonnie" wrote in message
We have a ton of yellow jackets around this year! We did spray some of the
nests but one is in our cellar window well. They seem to have found an
opening into the framework around the window and are somewhere inside the
cement block foundation. They are constantly flying in and out all day! We
tried spraying but we don't see an opening,they are so quick! Is there
anything else we can do to eliminate them?They are in an area where my
dogs are kept so every time the dogs go near they attack!ANY help would be
appreciated!
Bonnie

One horrifying weekend I killed over 250 of them in my house. If you have a
nest in your foundation that you can't find call pest control to do the job.

Silly as it sounds, the last few years I've hung fabric softener sheets
around my porches and windows as a last ditch effort to keep them away and
had good results. Hanging them next to new nests still under construction
actually caused the yellow jackets to abandon the nest, but I don't know how
effective it would be to eliminate an established one. Use poison to get rid
of them and give the fabric softener sheets a try around the dog area as a
deterrent - good luck.

Karen

Old 30-08-2005, 07:41 AM
sherwindu

In the past I have been able to somewhat control yellow jackets with the traps they
sell in hardware stores, etc. You put a small amount of apple juice in the bottom. They fly in and
can't get out. This does involve emptying and refilling the traps. This
won't get all of them, but will hold down the population depending on how many of
these traps you put out.

Sherwin D.

Old 30-08-2005, 04:23 PM

cut 3 inches out of the bottom of a 1 gal milk container ...fill with
3/8 inches of gasoline ...place right under crack where the yellow
jackets come out ..they will get woosey and drop into container ...hang
with string or coat hangar wire by drilling hole in sidewall near top
edge if must be hung

takes about 2 days to get them all ... repeat if new ones hatch from
hive

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Old 31-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Road Runner

We have found the best and safest way to get rid of bees is to wait until
evening when they are all in their hives/nests, and then drop moth crystals
in their home. The fumes will put them to sleep forever and they won't come
out and sting you. Sandy
wrote in message
ups.com...
cut 3 inches out of the bottom of a 1 gal milk container ...fill with
3/8 inches of gasoline ...place right under crack where the yellow
jackets come out ..they will get woosey and drop into container ...hang
with string or coat hangar wire by drilling hole in sidewall near top
edge if must be hung

takes about 2 days to get them all ... repeat if new ones hatch from
hive

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

[IMG] code is On

Yellow Jackets in siding... help? John North Carolina 16 20-09-2005 02:40 PM
Problems with Yellow Jackets kathy Ponds 7 20-07-2005 03:28 PM
Yellow Jackets M&K Lawns 26 08-01-2005 07:36 AM
Yellow jackets hovering over the lawn. Chris McCarty Lawns 4 09-08-2003 12:33 PM
Yellow Jackets Julie Gardening 6 01-05-2003 04:32 PM