Old 30-08-2005, 01:23 PM
tomkanpa

Default Why did red maple turn green??

What would cause the red leaves of a Japanese Maple to turn green?
Is this a permanent change in color??

Old 30-08-2005, 02:09 PM

chlorophyll

Old 30-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Vox Humana

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
ps.com...
What would cause the red leaves of a Japanese Maple to turn green?
Is this a permanent change in color??

My Bloodgood JM always starts our deep red and then turns somewhat green as
the summer progresses. As I understand it, the more direct sun they get,
the more green they turn. The cycle will repeat each year, so it isn't a
permanent change.

Old 30-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Emery Davis

On 30 Aug 2005 05:23:55 -0700, "tomkanpa" said:

] What would cause the red leaves of a Japanese Maple to turn green?
] Is this a permanent change in color??
]

I assume you are talking about an A. palmatum cultivar.

The different cultivars behave quite differently in terms of color.
Did you first see it this spring, with bright red foliage? Cultivars
like Chishio and Seigen are bright read for a while after leaf
burst before fading to green. As "Vox" points out some cultivars
green in direct sun; I have a Shojo that does this. Others,
like Chitoseyama, do the opposite: fully shaded leaves turn
a deep green, while those in full sun retain good red color.

HTH

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Old 04-09-2005, 03:52 AM
Brian E. Clark

In article 1125404635.052824.6470
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, tomkanpa said...

What would cause the red leaves of a Japanese Maple to turn green?
Is this a permanent change in color??

It's probably temporary, meaning the leaves will emerge red
again next spring.

My A. palmatum tends to green up a bit by late summer, if the
season has been evenly temperate and moist. In years like the
current one, where (in Pennsylvania) we experienced a period of
heat and drought, the leaves remain red. Toward the end of
autumn, regardless of the summertime color of the foliage, the
leaves turn a beautiful scarlet before they fall.

--
-----------
Brian E. Clark

Old 04-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Layne

Hi,

Actually Vox you have that backwards. The more sun the redder
Bloodgood leaves should get. Observe the leaves that are under other
leaves and notice that they are greener. The top leaves that get more
sun should be and stay redder. As the season progresses though
Bloodgoods will bronze (red with a green undercast).

There are other cultivars that hold their red color quite well.
Emperor I for instance.

Layne

Old 04-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Vox Humana

"Layne" wrote in message
Hi,

Actually Vox you have that backwards. The more sun the redder
Bloodgood leaves should get. Observe the leaves that are under other
leaves and notice that they are greener. The top leaves that get more
sun should be and stay redder. As the season progresses though
Bloodgoods will bronze (red with a green undercast).

There are other cultivars that hold their red color quite well.
Emperor I for instance.

Layne

I'll go out and take a look and get back to you.