Old 13-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Tony Miklos

Default I saved it! but it has fruit flies?

Hi! It's been a long time since I posted here.

I have this plant I rescued. I don't know what it is. It was soooooo
ugly it was destined to be thrown out. Three separate tree like stalks
about 4 foot tall, each with only one or two large leaves at the very
top. Not to mention the yarn, string, sticks, and a curtain rod,
attempting to hold it up straight. Still, somehow I saw the beauty in
it.

Late last fall, I took it and cut the three "trunks" down in varying
heights from 1 to 2 feet. It sat at a window in the 50 degree garage
most of the winter. No leaves. I occasionally turned it. After 2 or 3
months it showed signs of life! Little green sprouts coming out of the
bare stalks! So anyway, now it is inside and I'm quite proud of how it
is shaping up. Some of the leaves are 3 to 4 inches long and lush
green. Each trunk has one to three stems, each with two to three
leaves. (I won't mention the tennis balls wedged between the trunks to
train it to grow straight instead of crisscross)

Anyway, so now I'm noticing something resembling fruit flies (that might
be why it was in the garage in the first place?) I did let it dry out
fairly good a few times between waterings, but every time I do water, I
see the little buggers come flying out. What do I do to get rid of
them? They also like to fly in front of the computer monitor! *
---splat

Also, how do I keep it from becoming 4 foot tall with one leaf again?
Just keep pinching off the top growth?

--
Tony
Old 13-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Valkyrie

Anyway, so now I'm noticing something resembling fruit flies (that might
be why it was in the garage in the first place?) I did let it dry out
fairly good a few times between waterings, but every time I do water, I
see the little buggers come flying out. What do I do to get rid of
them? They also like to fly in front of the computer monitor! *
---splat

These are most likely fungus gnats. I've gotten rid of them by sprinkling
cinnamon on the soil. I don't know why it works, but it did for me. You
also might want to yank that plant out of the pot and put it in fresh soil,
clean the pot well or use a new one. I don't do chemical drenches on
anything, especially something I'd have inside my house but that's a
personal preference on my part.

Val

Maybe you should mulch that pot with a nice thick layer of pennies ;-)

Old 13-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Lunachick

Shulz makes a spray made from marigolds that is effective for fungus gnats.

Old 17-03-2003, 05:44 PM
John T. Jarrett

I used it and it worked...but someone pointed out to me that that other
ingredient is toxic...

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com