Old 10-02-2003, 06:25 PM
madgard

Default Alright!!

Alright! After the georgous snow last night, I awoke this morning to find
the perfect snow that makes the whole place more magical and detailed. Every
twig, branch, and detail was highlighted in white. Unfortunately I didn't
get up early enough (8:15 didn't cut it, as it seems it went up to 35o F
around 3 a.m. this morning) but what was left was more than adequate.

I jumped outa the waterbed, grabbed my warmer clothes, found my boots and by
then Rose had hobbled outa her spot along the bottom of the waterbed against
the railing where it's nice and enveloping with the warmth and was all
excited that we were going out. (she had to go anyway and waits for me to
get up).

Hat, down coat to cut the cold wind, digital camera. As soon as I opened the
door, the dawg almost knocked me over racing out the screen door across the
small deck that leads in and out of the nook and den door on the east side
of the house. Snap snap of the digital, all angles, and Rose left me behind
to race up and down the driveway like a lunatic dawg all pleased I was
outside with her....she loves snow despite her apparent hip problem lately
that makes her a three legged dawg lately.

Once I became aware of things, I noticed it really wasn't as cold as it
should have been. But with a down coat, micro fleece hat and muffler and
fuzzy boots, how could I tell? My face and hands weren't cold.........

I snapped picture after picture as I went down the driveway, the snow had
already melted on the gravel, and the grass and ground where showing up
where it had started to melt down, but on the trees, bushes and everything
else it was a wonderland of details and mists. The sky has an overcast of
soft grayish blue to it, and between the snow on everything, and that there
are mists rising up above everything, the feeling was very ethereal and
magical. Not enough winds to do more than shuffle branches and twigs, I
could hear an occaisonal tinkle of my many windchimes back at the house, as
I was making my way across to the electric fence to step over and go down
the sloping hillside pasture towards those white pines I hadn't noticed so
much before.

Been here almost 8 years and never noticed that there were two huge white
pines just over to the eastern edge of Miz Mary's, sister's pasture near the
Lane's woods at their property line. Their detail was awesome.

I took about 50 pictures, Rose crying and cursing me the whole time I was
well below her almost out of her sight in the lower hillside pasture. She
won't go under an electric barbwire anymore. She hates the snap it bites her
with.

Back up top on the ridge, I stepped back over, decided I needed to get some
pictures of my directions I give out when people want to come visit. (go up
Wine road, turn onto Niles which is a deadend and is paved, at the top,
where the paved road ends and Miz Mary has the incredible view of English
Mountain and Douglas Lake, take the gravel road around the curve, past her
bounders that border the driveway, past the pastures on either side, thru
the iron gates that are open, to just past the grasses, the large bushes to
the house on the left with all the raised beds that are cheek to jowl
constipated in perennials) G

The snow was lingering in the protected northern portion of the upper road
leading here, so I got a good defining shot of it, turned around and took
another where you picked up, then walked back down the driveway and took on
going pictures of the route and driveway to my home. Good defining, snowy
shots too.

I got to the Trumpet vine and forsythia opening into the western side yard,
took a great picture of the snow on the chain link fence making neat
patterns, and decided to see if any crocus were up and blooming.

I HAVE MY FIRST CROCUS BLOOMING IN THE SNOW!!!!WOO HOO!!!! Not only that,
but I have two tiny snow drops!!!!!!!! When I yelled in happiness I scared
the shit outa the fairies and birds and got the attention of Rose who was
checking out all the going's on of the turkeys, deer and coyote in the
pasture next to us and came running up top barking and being all protective.
When she saw I was just being a loon, she gave me a disgusted dawg look and
went about her accountability sniffing.

I took pictures of the snowdrop, and the crocus. Then of the lime spirea in
the snow with it's very dark pink twigs and snow, then over to take pictures
of green tongues sticking outa the snow of the daffs, and of the pawlonia
limbs loaded with birdfeeders, on down the steep side yard to the sitting
boulder I dug out, over to the scotch broom, down the steps Squire placed
between the jack pines.

Another picture of snow encrusted rocking chair I have turned over on its
side to hold back the mock orange bush, another shot of emerging Red Riding
Hood tulips tongues poking out of the snow (those leaves have burgandy
markings), down the path next to the fence, oops, stop and take a picture of
the pallet designs in snow of the second compost pile I am going to have to
fix. (invasion of honeysuckle and privet, a three hour job at least).

Turn around and take a picture of the UPPER side yard from the lower view,
and on down to the woods where the great boulders are. Stop and take a
picture of the steps boulder that Squire and I unearthed one day that are
awesome and outline the last terrace ridge leading to the last past of the
actual woods.

Down there is an exposed fairy boulder that I fell in love with when we
first looked at the house. While Squire was inside looking at the house, I
was outside prowling around looking at the land. So I know that I knew what
I was getting into when we first looked at this place G

Two pictures of snow coated prickley pears I moved from the driveway under
the acacia tree, one last detail picture of the fairy boulder, and my
batteries died.

Now all I have to do since I've already cleaned them, sharpened them up,
fixed the contrast and minimized the size is to title all of them. I took 69
pictures...............LOL

Two hours later the snow has falled off alot of the larger trees and it's
holding at 35o F so it was fortuitous that I went out when I did!

thanks for letting me share this with you.

madgardener all silly and happy with crocuses and snowdrops up and blooming
today.........up on the ridge, back in a slushy, snowy fairy holler,
overlooking hills where English Mountain should be but the mists and fogs
and clouds have obscured them, in Eastern Tennessee, zone 6b

Old 15-02-2003, 04:03 PM
loonyhiker

"When she saw I was just being a loon, "

Tell Rose that this a compliment! Life is too short not to act like a
loon!!!! Thanks for sharing your story. I love to visualize the whole story
and I still can't wait to visit you some day!

loony