Old 13-03-2003, 09:44 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default OT-here's your dilemma of the day

OK, here's your dilemma of the day:

You are the President of the United States.

You've just learned that there is an asteroid headed for France that will
completely wipe out their entire country.

It is scheduled to hit about 2:30 a.m. in just two days from now.

You have enough ships and military personnel nearby that can help evacuate
their people safely, but they are on stand-by in case of war with Iraq.

Your question: do you set the VCR to record the asteroid hitting France, or do
you stay up to watch it live?

Old 13-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Marley1372

You re name the country "freedom" in protest of thier threatening to veto the
UN resolution.

Toad
Old 14-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Bob

You rename the country "freedom" to show what they display when they decide
to oppose stupid wars?

Bob

Old 14-03-2003, 12:56 PM
TOM KAN PA

OK, I assumed everyone would know it's a joke that I posted. France does have
the right to protest and vote any way they wish. But consider the following:

Briefly, here is a U.N. Security resolution.
It spells it out pretty clear! France seems to be completely disregarding it.

In August 1990, after Iraqi forces invaded Kuwait, the U.N. Security Council
passed a resolution under Article VII of the U.N. Charter (thereby making it
binding on all U.N. members) that banned all financial transactions with Iraq,
international flights to Iraq, and trade with Iraq in all goods except medicine
and humanitarian food aid. In April 1991, after the Gulf War ended, the
Security Council passed Resolution 687, which determined that the sanctions
would continue until Iraq met several conditions, chief among them shutting
down its programs to produce chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons and
destroying its existing weapons of mass destruction. This resolution also
required Iraq to prove to the international community that it was disarmed.

"Banned all financial transactions with Iraq, ............. and trade with Iraq
in all goods!!!!" And it's binding on ALL U.N. Members.
Excuse me! I don't remember France getting 9 favorable votes in the UN for them
to continue to have financial transactions and trade with Iraq!

So I think the French Government should keep their protests low-keyed like the
Germans and some other countries are doing. If the U.S. starts the war with
Iraq on their own, I say, "France, don't say a bleepin' word! The U.S. has not
made an international fuss about you disregarding a U.N. resolution and
continuing your financial relationship with Iraq."

Old 14-03-2003, 04:32 PM
silvasurfa

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
OK, here's your dilemma of the day:

You are the President of the United States.

You've just learned that there is an asteroid headed for France that will
completely wipe out their entire country.

It is scheduled to hit about 2:30 a.m. in just two days from now.

You have enough ships and military personnel nearby that can help evacuate
their people safely, but they are on stand-by in case of war with Iraq.

Your question: do you set the VCR to record the asteroid hitting France,

or do
you stay up to watch it live?

Umm, wouldn't an asteroid big enough to completely wipe out France also
cause major devastation in Britain? And aren't Britain almost on your side?

Old 14-03-2003, 08:44 PM
it's me

silvasurfa wrote:

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message

OK, here's your dilemma of the day:

You are the President of the United States.

You've just learned that there is an asteroid headed for France that will
completely wipe out their entire country.

It is scheduled to hit about 2:30 a.m. in just two days from now.

You have enough ships and military personnel nearby that can help evacuate
their people safely, but they are on stand-by in case of war with Iraq.

Your question: do you set the VCR to record the asteroid hitting France,

or do

you stay up to watch it live?

Umm, wouldn't an asteroid big enough to completely wipe out France also
cause major devastation in Britain? And aren't Britain almost on your side?

IT'S CALLED A JOKE! IT DOESN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH SCIENCE! FOR THAT
MATTER IF IT WIPED OUT ALL OF FRANCE IT WOULD MOST LIKELY END MOST LIFE
AS WE KNOW IT. FINALLY IT WOULD MAKE FOR A **** POOR GROWING SEASON, SO
I GUESS THIS POST IS NOT SO FAR OFF TOPIC.

KEVIN

Old 14-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Natty_Dread

"silvasurfa" wrote in message

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
OK, here's your dilemma of the day:

You are the President of the United States.

You've just learned that there is an asteroid headed for France that

will
completely wipe out their entire country.

It is scheduled to hit about 2:30 a.m. in just two days from now.

You have enough ships and military personnel nearby that can help

evacuate
their people safely, but they are on stand-by in case of war with Iraq.

Your question: do you set the VCR to record the asteroid hitting France,

or do
you stay up to watch it live?

Umm, wouldn't an asteroid big enough to completely wipe out France also
cause major devastation in Britain? And aren't Britain almost on your

side?

Actually, they're not. British support for war in Iraq stands at about
about 20%, according to the polls I've read. That's why Tony Blair seems to
be backpedaling a bit on his support for Bush -- his government may be in
danger of falling if he doesn't moderate his message in accordance with the
British public's will.

Old 14-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Polar

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
[...]

At times like this, one wishes for a parliamentary system Over Here,
so we could dump Dubya.

But in such a large country as the U.S. , I suppose there are
arguments for keeping our present, clumsy system...

What do people think?

--
Polar

Old 15-03-2003, 01:20 AM
paghat

In article , wrote:

silvasurfa wrote:

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message

[...]

If it's a good joke then you can build on it with another joke. If it's a
bad joke people may well end up screaming IT'S A JOKE! in all caps &
underlined in red crayon. Some of the recent attitudes against France, for
not being pure warmongering retards like our semi-elected president, are
by now very tiresome as jokes go, so much so they may require some equally
tiresome hillbilly redneck jokes for balance. Kill them Frenchies, hyuk
hyuk. And Congress making French Fries the new symbol of Freedom. I'll be
viewing those decrepit Republican attorneys as greasy potato boys for a
long time.

Piles of hate-mail to Martin Sheen are pretty good jokes too. The joke
that France would be speaking German if not for the warmongering Yanks is
also pretty good, but so is the one about all Yanks sipping putrid tea &
all of us having crooked teeth & finding Benny Hill just amazingly funny
if the Frogs hadn't save our arses.

When the president & the state department wage successful propoganda
campaigns to make France our enemy, one really begins to wonder if ANY of
the propoganda about God's Personal Enemies Taken On By Bush has the least
bit of merit. The more that semi-elected retard claims his is God's
mission, the more certain I am he's a lying munchmonkey or destroyed far
too many of his braincells before getting a reign on his alcoholism.

Oh, & though it's all of it all too true, it's also a rather big joke. On us.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 15-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Warren

&
all of us having crooked teeth & finding Benny Hill just amazingly

funny
if the Frogs hadn't save our arses.

Yep.

If the US and France were a couple of people, France would be writing
Dear Abby asking why someone who has been a good friend for so many
years, one who's butt they've saved a couple of times, is suddenly
treating them worse than some of their enemies because of one
disagreement.

Abby's answer would probably point out that fair weather friends that
allow you to save them, and then treat you like crap are not really
friends, but dysfunctional users.

I'm ashamed of the way we're treating France.

It's gotten to the point that we're treating our friends like crap. It's
going to backfire on us with a vengeance. I don't care how big you think
you are, you don't schedule a fight for after school, and then spend the
day bullying your buddies -- unless you also are bribing them with cash.

What's a joke is that our foreign policy is just that. The sad thing is
that joke isn't funny either.

All this because some people in Florida didn't clean the chads off their
ballots.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 15-03-2003, 03:32 AM
No war

I hope, yes hope, we don't go to war... I hope we forget about Iraq
for weeks, months and years. But most of all I hope someday I can
turn on the TV when I wake and see ...

"BREAKING NEWS"

"In the early morning hours there has been a gas attack in Washington
DC. In what looks like an coordinated effort from multiple
locations, 20 square miles has been blanketed with nerve agent VX.
Initial reports indicate up to 70,000 dead, including all those in and
around the National Mall, Congress and the White House."

If I'm lucky a news crew will have gas masks and be able to film
inside the cloud. I'll get to see an American child choking on their
own bloody lung tissue, and maybe their mother or father will get to
watch them die before they do.

Maybe, just maybe, this country will wake up and see that 9-11 was
just the beginning...

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:43:53 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

On 13 Mar 2003 21:40:47 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Your question: do you set the VCR to record the asteroid hitting France, or do
you stay up to watch it live?

idiotic nationalist bullshit!

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

Old 15-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:28:50 -0500, No war wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, this country will wake up and see that 9-11 was
just the beginning...

of a misdirectd war against Iraq.....

Old 15-03-2003, 05:44 PM
it's me

paghat wrote:

In article , wrote:

silvasurfa wrote:

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message

[...]

The people of US have short memories so every once and a while we have
to elect a Republican administration and this time a Rep. Congress
t'Boot, just to remind ourselves how bad they are for the American Economy.
Come '04' with the enemies he making with this war, the debt, the Arctic
oil drilling, the abortion bill that just passed, and this summer you
have to look forward to, an attack on paying overtime, AND an attack on
your pensions.

If you are rallying for peace, YOU LOSS! We're going and we're going
with or without the Brits. This time next week we'll all be watching
news footage "Live from the outskirts of BAGED-DADDY"

Piles of hate-mail to Martin Sheen are pretty good jokes too. The joke
that France would be speaking German if not for the warmongering Yanks is
also pretty good, but so is the one about all Yanks sipping putrid tea &
all of us having crooked teeth & finding Benny Hill just amazingly funny
if the Frogs hadn't save our arses.

When the president & the state department wage successful propoganda
campaigns to make France our enemy, one really begins to wonder if ANY of
the propoganda about God's Personal Enemies Taken On By Bush has the least
bit of merit. The more that semi-elected retard claims his is God's
mission, the more certain I am he's a lying munchmonkey or destroyed far
too many of his braincells before getting a reign on his alcoholism.

Oh, & though it's all of it all too true, it's also a rather big joke. On us.

-paghat the ratgirl

Kevin French
and not changing my name to Kevin 'Freedom'

Screw the French