Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Ablang

Default Fall Fertilizing

Fall Fertilizing

Why autumn is the right time of year to nourish your yard.

by Roger Cook

Fall is here and it's time to fertilize. Why now? Taking the time to
fertilize in the fall will strengthen your plants' and lawn's roots,
giving them a strong base on which to thrive next spring.

The first thing to understand about fertilizer is the formula, which
is represented by three numbers, such as the common 5-10-5. The first
number represents nitrogen, which promotes lawn blade and foliage
growth; the second number stands for phosphorus, which helps root
growth; and the third for potassium, which promotes cell function and
absorption of trace elements. But what do you fertilize? When? And
with what? Let's start with your lawn.

Early in September, grass is recovering from a long hot summer and may
be coming out of a drought-induced dormancy, so you'll want to give
your lawn a shot of nitrogen to push blade growth. A fertilizer with a
formula of 20-8-8 will get it growing again. Always follow the
manufacturer's recommended rate of application. Some people treat
weeds and insects at this time, but I think that unless there are
signs of trouble or a history of problems, don't apply anything but
fertilizer. While this September dose of fertilizer is important, an
application at the end of October or early November is essential. At
that time, apply a fertilizer with a formula of 13-25-12. The push of
phosphorus will stimulate root growth through November and even into
early December. By helping roots grow before winter sets in, you are
insuring that the lawn will green-up quicker in the spring and become
more resistant to disease and draught.

With the lawn taken care of, it's time to consider plants. By now,
perennials are starting to fade but they will benefit from 0-20-0
super phosphate fertilizer scattered around the plants at recommended
doses and lightly cultivated into the soil. Next spring you'll have
stronger plants with more flowers.

Fall is also a great time to fertilize shrubs and trees. In my
opinion, all trees and shrubs need fertilizer, because most of them
are located in mulch beds that use up nitrogen as they decompose. In
addition, every fall we rake leaves off these beds, depriving plants
of the nutrients that decomposing leaves would traditionally release.
To compensate, I recommend applying one to three pounds of
slow-release nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of bed and cultivating
lightly. (To figure out the exact amount of fertilizer you'll need,
calculate the square footage of your beds and consult with your local
garden center.) I prefer fertilizing trees in late September and early
October to promote root growth. These nutrients will still be in the
soil come spring when plants start to grow. If you have a tree or
shrub that does not flower well, a dose of super phosphate will help
promote flower growth. However, if the plant is not located in the
right spot, all the super hosphate in the world won't make it flower.

Fall is also the time to plant bulbs. I prefer to use super phosphate
to promote root growth, insuring strong flowering in the spring. Some
people recommend using bone meal when planting bulbs but I find that
it attracts rodents who eat both the bone meal and the bulbs.

As you can tell, the basic goal of fall fertilizing is to promote root
growth. When you have strong roots, you have healthy plants with
numerous flowers. So push those roots!

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...198603,00.html

===
"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents."
-- Andrew Carnegie, 19th-century robber baron
Old 10-09-2005, 02:43 PM

Bullshit

Fall would be a good time to do a soil test.
Add compost.
Ammend pH.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Andrew Ostrander

What rubbish, including

an application at the end of October or early November is essential.

How do I push the fertilizer spreader through the snow?

Old 10-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Andrew Ostrander wrote:
What rubbish, including

an application at the end of October or early November is essential.

How do I push the fertilizer spreader through the snow?

Adapt the advice to your climate.

And it is good advice, as you will find out if you follow it. I'd add
that digging over the garden, digging in compost and manure etc, is also
very beneficial in the fall, more so than in the spring IME.

HTH

Old 11-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:25:53 -0500, "Andrew Ostrander"
wrote:

How do I push the fertilizer spreader through the snow?

Don't you canucks have skis to replace the wheels?

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold
Old 13-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Hound Dog

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
What rubbish, including

an application at the end of October or early November is essential.

How do I push the fertilizer spreader through the snow?

MOVE!

Old 14-09-2005, 04:07 AM
Salty Thumb

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in news:cVCUe.3112$qP3.33296
@news1.mts.net:

What rubbish, including

an application at the end of October or early November is essential.

How do I push the fertilizer spreader through the snow?

You don't push a fertilizer spreader through the snow. Geez use the right
tool for the job already.

Flying reindeer - they ain't just for delivering presents.

[IMG] code is On

Fall Fertilizing Keith Corwell Lawns 1 18-10-2008 04:46 PM
[IBC] Fertilizing bonsai in late summer and early fall Carol Bonsai 2 04-09-2005 08:27 PM
When to start water / fertilizing established bulbs for the fall? Pelvis Popcan Gardening 1 24-08-2003 06:42 PM
Beginner seeks advice on orchid plants, books, fertilizing, growing Tessmann Orchids 0 19-02-2003 04:39 AM
[IBC] Fertilizing azaleas. Edmund L. Castillo Bonsai 3 29-01-2003 12:18 PM