Old 16-09-2005, 06:46 AM
rwwkv6

Default General Tips on Growing Pumpkins

To the veteran Pumpkin Grower,

I'm going to be starting my first pumpkin patch this spring, and I'm
stocking up on all of the general 'how to's' I can get. Any suggetions,
or tricks of the trade would be great. Thanks.

Rob.

Old 16-09-2005, 03:44 PM
William Wagner

In article . com,
"rwwkv6" wrote:

To the veteran Pumpkin Grower,

I'm going to be starting my first pumpkin patch this spring, and I'm
stocking up on all of the general 'how to's' I can get. Any suggetions,
or tricks of the trade would be great. Thanks.

Rob.

I've seen local folks feed their pumpkin's milk. Also pruning down
to less fruit per vine a possibility to consider.

Bill

This came today Enjoy!

.................................................. ...........

4. Exploratorium: Science of Gardening [Macromedia Flash Player, Quick
Time]
http://www.exploratorium.edu/gardening/index.html

"Like all great endeavors gardening is both a science and an art", and
this new feature from the Exploratorium uses video clips, interactives,
photos, and articles to make this point in way that will appeal to
visitors of all ages. For example, the interactive Garden Variety
presents basic facts (vitals), information on seeds, and lore, for
vegetables and fruits such as peas and carrots, corn, strawberries, and
pumpkins. Visitors can also virtually tour a hydroponic greenhouse
located in the arctic, where fancy lettuces and herbs are growing
despite sub-zero temperatures, read a photo
essay about a pumpkin-growing competition in California, and learn how
grafting, hybridizing, and genetic engineering are used to develop new
plants. [DS]

Copyright Internet Scout Project, 1994-2005. The Internet Scout Project
(http://scout.wisc.edu/),
located in the Computer Sciences Department of the University of
Wisconsin-Madison, provides information about the Internet to the U.S.
research and education community under a grant from the National Science
Foundation, number NCR-9712163. The Government has certain rights in
this material. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim
copies of the entire Scout Report provided this paragraph, including the
copyright notice, are preserved on all copies.

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 S Jersey USA in a Japanese Jungle Manner.39.6376 -75.0208
Moose I'm trying to understand why Kamikaze pilots wear helments?
Old 16-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Oxymel of Squill

this year I bought seeds advertised as 'giant', prepared a patch with horse
poo under a raised bed, lots of fresh compost, watered every day and fed
often
result bugger all
will be interested to see what the successful folk advise

ups.com...

Old 18-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
eenews.net...
this year I bought seeds advertised as 'giant', prepared a patch with
horse poo under a raised bed,

OLD horse poo, right?

And why *under* the bed? Wouldn't the benefits go straight downward instead
of up to the plant?

Old 18-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

"rwwkv6" wrote in message
ups.com...
To the veteran Pumpkin Grower,

I'm going to be starting my first pumpkin patch this spring, and I'm
stocking up on all of the general 'how to's' I can get. Any suggetions,
or tricks of the trade would be great. Thanks.

Rob.

My father always swore that the big growers split the stem above the chosen
fruit, threaded a small piece of cotton rag through the split. The other
end of this strip of material was in a gallon jug of water. This, he said,
fed the fruit a direct and steady supply of water to plump it up.

shrug I never tried it but I still might some day.

Old 18-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Marty

"rwwkv6" wrote in message
ups.com...
To the veteran Pumpkin Grower,

I'm going to be starting my first pumpkin patch this spring, and I'm
stocking up on all of the general 'how to's' I can get. Any suggetions,
or tricks of the trade would be great. Thanks.

Rob.

Remember to put seeds in the dirt. ;-)
I grew great pumpkins as a kid and didn't do anything other than plant the
seeds.
So, my point is that it's going to be easy.
And I'm looking forward to the tips that would have made my pumpkins bigger
and better.

Old 19-09-2005, 12:37 PM
sarab

My daughter's "Highlights for Children" magazine has an article about
growing giant pumpkins. Best advice in it - bury each leaf joint so
that new roots will form to help feed the giant pumpkin.

This is going for size, and removing all but one pumpkin per vine.

Old 19-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Jmagerl

Every year I try to grow pumpkins and every year I never get any. THe female
flowers don't seem to come until September even though I have plenty of
vines. I've planted seed at one week intervals from May1 to June 15
(thinking it was a soil temp thing) but no luck. I've started the plants
indoors, no luck. WHat gives? Chicago area

oups.com...