Old 10-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Todd J.

Default Thoughts on the Royal Paulownia

I got this ad for this Royal Paulownia (paulownia tomatosa) from a
nursery. It clams to grow real fast and bloooms with lots n lots of
lavender blue blooms..............................

I have never heard of one and was wondering if you guys both near and
far had. If so, is this a tree to try or is it some rag that I
shouldn't bother with???

Thanks

Todd
Tennessee
Zone 6b

Change the .com to .net to email me
Old 10-02-2003, 11:25 PM
animaux

Didn't you see the other 25 posts about this? www.google.com and do a search on
P.tomentosa. All the possible information on the planet will be on your screen.

Old 11-02-2003, 01:55 AM
Todd J.

No, I didn't see the other posts. They must have been off the server
by the time I got the headers.

What I was looking for was real experience with the tree. Not just
more info.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:55 AM
DGiunti

In article , Todd J.
writes:

No, I didn't see the other posts. They must have been off the server
by the time I got the headers.

What I was looking for was real experience with the tree. Not just
more info.

Todd,
surf to and bookmark this site:
enter your tree name and see what others are saying about it. Google will
bring up the long recent string where the opinions ranged from almost as bad as
poison oak to that it produced the elixir of life! It depends on if the tree
goes 'natural' in your area. If that happens it can get to be a problem, the
sort of 'too much of a good thing' sort of problem.

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk
Old 11-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Iris Cohen

I got this ad for this Royal Paulownia (paulownia tomatosa) from a nursery.
It claims to grow real fast and bloooms with lots n lots of lavender blue
blooms.
I have never heard of one and was wondering if you guys both near and far had.

I have seen Paulownias. It is not hardy north of Zone 6, but there was one in
Syracuse for many years. it is a handsome tree. However, in warmer climates it
is extremely weedy & invasive. You may wind up being hated by all your
neighbors. Also, always be wary of extremely fast growing trees. They usually
have weak wood and you are perpetually plagued by branches coming down in a
storm.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 11-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Cereoid+10

The very same plant has been the topic of recent discussion in this very
newsgroup.

The plant is a nasty weed tree and its bad points far outweigh its good
points. Don't get it unless you want to suffer years of grief dealing with
it. You've probably already seen it growing along the highway and in fields
and didn't know what the big leafed weedy tree was. Masses of fragrant
purple snapdragon flowers in the spring but the rest of the growing season
its extremely fast growing and aggressive with foul-smelling overly large
heart-shaped leaves. The dust like seed sprout into plants everywhere that
quickly crowd out all other plants.

Sorry Tennessee!

Old 12-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Todd J.

My thanks for all the info.

Change the .com to .net to email me

[IMG] code is On

Royal empress (Royal Paulownia) seeds, uk?? alison1971 United Kingdom 10 01-02-2010 05:22 PM
Royal Paulownia tree Bill Gardening 12 25-03-2008 06:45 AM
Ever heard of Paulownia trees? Harri85274 Gardening 16 06-02-2003 02:36 AM
Ever heard of Paulownia trees? Catalpas better! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 03-02-2003 10:17 AM
Paulownia problem JennyC United Kingdom 2 04-11-2002 07:34 PM