Old 17-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Jack Smith

Default newbie questions

Hi,

We recently purchased a house (our first) in Atlanta (Roswell), GA,
and have several questions concerning lawn care. The kind of
questions we have a

when to put fertilizer
when to put weedicide
when to aerate

We have fescue in the back and bermuda in the front. It appears
that fescue needs re-seeding. When is a good time to do that?
Also, there seem to be several types of fescues. How would we
know which is ours?

We realize that people in this newsgroup are avid gardening
enthusiasts and would probably be irritated by these
basic questions. We would really appreciate a link to website(s)
which covers these issues. Google ing didn't get us very far!

Thanks.

Old 17-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Sed5555

We recently purchased a house (our first) in Atlanta (Roswell), GA,
and have several questions concerning lawn care.

These questions are best answered by your local cooperative extension agent.
Here is a link to the various county extension offices in Georgia:
http://128.192.110.246/sublist.cfm
sed5555
Old 17-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:13:07 -0500, "Jack Smith"
wrote:

Hi,

We recently purchased a house (our first) in Atlanta (Roswell), GA,
and have several questions concerning lawn care. The kind of
questions we have a

when to put fertilizer

Fall fertilizing is most important, ferilize in March wth
pre-emergence, fertilize in June with organic fertilizer (only).

when to put weedicide

Kill weeds in spring.

when to aerate

Aerate and overseed with starter fertilizer in fall. Use a mix of
fescue grasses (Rebel is very good).

Old 17-03-2003, 11:56 AM
John

www.scotts.com has good information for lawns.

Old 17-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Pam

Jack Smith wrote:

Hi,

We recently purchased a house (our first) in Atlanta (Roswell), GA,
and have several questions concerning lawn care. The kind of
questions we have a

when to put fertilizer
when to put weedicide
when to aerate

We have fescue in the back and bermuda in the front. It appears
that fescue needs re-seeding. When is a good time to do that?
Also, there seem to be several types of fescues. How would we
know which is ours?

We realize that people in this newsgroup are avid gardening
enthusiasts and would probably be irritated by these
basic questions. We would really appreciate a link to website(s)
which covers these issues. Google ing didn't get us very far!

Google should have gotten you this pretty darn easily - see if this
helps.
http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b773-w.html
Try to do spot weeding rather than broadcasting a herbicide. The
broadcast application is inefficient - it applies herbicide to areas
which don't contain weeds, wasting money and furthering chemical
pollution. Maintaining a healthy lawn through moderate fertilizing,
proper watering and frequent high mowing will provide your best weed
prevention.

pam - gardengal

Old 17-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Warren

John wrote:
www.scotts.com has good information for lawns.

They have good information on why you should buy lots of their chemicals
in every conceivable situation. Hardly objective information.

Let me ask you this: Would you go to a pharmaceutical company's website
for medical information? Would you go to www.abc.com to find out what's
on TV? Would you go to a candidate's website to help form your opinion
on a public issue?

Typing "lawn care" at Google results in more than a quarter of a million
hits. Surely one can find some good objective information from a site
that has no vested interest in selling you lots of chemicals whether you
need them or not.

If you want to find out about a specific product, go to the
manufacturer's website, and try to read around the marketing. If you
want to find objective information on anything, stay away from websites
belonging to companies who's reason to exist is to sell you something.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.