Old 17-03-2003, 01:44 PM
redclay

Default what trees are good for moist soils?

HI HI- wrote in message
.. .
in my back yard towards the woods the ground stays somewhat moist. its
partly shaded. im wanting to plant alot of trees back there. what trees
would grow well in this soil? im in georgia.
thanks
Sweet gums, maples, tulip populars and willows will do just fine down yonder
in the wet lower 40.

Old 17-03-2003, 04:44 PM
paghat

In article , "HI HI-"
wrote:

in my back yard towards the woods the ground stays somewhat moist. its =
partly shaded. im wanting to plant alot of trees back there. what =
trees would grow well in this soil? im in georgia.
thanks

Just yesterday I was visiting a little farm with very swampy land & high
watertable, so wet that for over half each year they have a waterfall that
seems to erupt right out of their property & runs down to a protected
salmon stream. I was interested to see what grew in this usually-damp
soil, some of it native trees that self-selected where they're growing, &
many fruiting trees. There were many very healthy hazels, hawthorns,
cottonwood, plums & pears, plus one big bush pussywillow, a big old
corkscrew willow, & a large magnolia. Everything as healthy as I'd ever
seen it in better-draining soil. Interestingly there were no birches,
though elsewhere I've seen a native birch growing even in unpleasant
roadside run-off swamps; I think they're really much more sensitive to
poor drainage than others though. Hazels & various willows are among the
sorts of trees that can suck up such huge amounts of water that they can
sometimes turn an overly damp area into dry ground, making it comfortable
for human use.

I don't think many trees actually prefer to be in standing water but it's
surprising what can be spotted growing right out in the middle of a
cattail swamp, for some trees drying out in summer seems to be drainage
enough. You might look around your region to see what NATURALLY springs
out of overly wet ground, & select either the pure native species that'd
like to grow right there naturally, or a cultivar in the same range of
species.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 17-03-2003, 06:32 PM
John T. Jarrett

Pecans

Their natural environment is along high river banks in sandy or loamy soil
here in Texas. They go back and forth between very dry and very flooded.

Whereas Willows tend to want to be wet all the time.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

"HI HI-" wrote in message
.. .
in my back yard towards the woods the ground stays somewhat moist. its
partly shaded. im wanting to plant alot of trees back there. what trees
would grow well in this soil? im in georgia.
thanks

__________________
Starting at the bottom is one thing.
Staying there is another.

Old 17-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Pam

HI HI- wrote:

in my back yard towards the woods the ground stays somewhat moist. its partly shaded. im wanting to plant alot of trees back there. what trees would grow well in this soil? im in georgia.
thanks

You can add to your list tupelo and river birch.

Old 17-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Pam

Old 18-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Hobbs

"redclay" wrote in message ...
HI HI- wrote in message
.. .
in my back yard towards the woods the ground stays somewhat moist. its
partly shaded. im wanting to plant alot of trees back there. what trees
would grow well in this soil? im in georgia.
thanks
Sweet gums, maples, tulip populars and willows will do just fine down yonder
in the wet lower 40.

As far as fruit trees, I grew up in Seattle where there's lots of moss and
moist of the year the ground is pretty moist. In my neighborhood we had
these trees: Plums, Pear, Granny Apple, Red Apple, Cherry.

There were lots of other trees that did well. The fruit trees that
produced the best fruit were shielded from the prevailing wind and
not directly exposed to sunlight all day in the summer (sounds weird,
I know.)

-McDaniel
Old 18-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Babberney

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:10:33 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

How about Bald Cypress?

Coming from Cereoid, I'm surprised this didn't include the binomial
(Taxodium distichum), since this tree is not a true cypress and the
common name might prove problematic to a novice.
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html