GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   alternative to liriope (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/107337-alternative-liriope.html)

robv60 24-09-2005 12:46 AM

alternative to liriope

I would like to plant a low growing, evergreen border along the walkway
to my house. I know that liriope would be the ideal plant but my
husband hates it. I considered Mondo grass but I have a full sun
location in zone 7 (Athens, GA).
Does anyone have any suggestions?

paghat 24-09-2005 01:19 AM

In article om, "robv60"
wrote:

I would like to plant a low growing, evergreen border along the walkway
to my house. I know that liriope would be the ideal plant but my
husband hates it. I considered Mondo grass but I have a full sun
location in zone 7 (Athens, GA).
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mondo grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus, black or green varieties) can do very
very well in a sunny spot so long as it is watered regularly, which
would've been true of liriope too, it'd get scruffy & brown in a sunny
poorly watered spot despite that it doesn't need much water in a shady
spot.

It is usually Liriope spicata that people dislike because of its fame for
running rampant. Liriope muscari is more containable & comes in cultivars
pale violet to dark blue-violet, plain-leaf &amp variegated leaf forms
white & green, or yellow & green, so can really look splendid as a grassy
flowery groundcover or border. It could be mixed with Muscari botryoides
or Muscari armeniacum which have autumn & winter foliage & spring flowers,
while the Liriope muscari is fully evergreen in zones 7 & 8. Or Liriope
muscari in a sunny spot can have oriental hyacinths intermixed for extra
spring excitement & sweet scents.

Acorus gramineus Sweet Flag is an aroid that looks like grass, commonly
available in a yellow & green variegated form. It does fine in moist well
drained soil in sun. It cna be very striking but tends to remain a clump;
it's harder to get really good groundcover coverage with it because it
grows in fans rather than spreading rhizomitously, & its inflourescence is
trivial whereas mondo grass & lily turf have such nice flowers & berries.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

robv60 24-09-2005 03:10 PM

Thanks for the response! When would be the best time to plant?