GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting apple trees from seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/107398-planting-apple-trees-seed.html)

Big Duke 25-09-2005 05:22 PM

Planting apple trees from seed

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has tried planting apple trees from seed?
What's a good time of year to plant? Do I plant on pots or plant directly
outside? I live in upstate New York.

Cheryl Isaak 25-09-2005 06:07 PM

On 9/25/05 12:22 PM, in article , "Big
Duke" wrote:

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has tried planting apple trees from seed?
What's a good time of year to plant? Do I plant on pots or plant directly
outside? I live in upstate New York.

Here we go again!
Cheryl

Bill 25-09-2005 08:34 PM

In article ,
says...
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has tried planting apple trees from seed?
What's a good time of year to plant? Do I plant on pots or plant directly
outside? I live in upstate New York.

I think I smell a troll.

Bill

Big Duke 26-09-2005 11:35 PM

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has tried planting apple trees from
seed?
What's a good time of year to plant? Do I plant on pots or plant
directly
outside? I live in upstate New York.

I think I smell a troll.

Bill
This is my first time visiting your group, but I get the feeling this was
posted before. If it was, is there someplace where I could read the
results? Duke

zxcvbob 27-09-2005 02:49 AM

Big Duke wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has tried planting apple trees from
seed?
What's a good time of year to plant? Do I plant on pots or plant
directly
outside? I live in upstate New York.

I think I smell a troll.

Bill
This is my first time visiting your group, but I get the feeling this was
posted before. If it was, is there someplace where I could read the
results? Duke

There has been an ongoing discussion (argument) for about a week
regarding growing apples from seed. That discussion (argument) is just
now finally winding down.

Growing apples from seeds is terribly impractical if you are interested
in the fruit -- unless have a lot of space for *big* trees to grow, you
don't mind waiting 10 years for the tree to begin bearing, and you
realize the fruit will probably be awful. With pruning and grafting you
can replace all the branches with a good variety in just a couple of
more years, so it's not like the 10 years was a total waste, but if you
want an apple tree you are usually better off buying a named variety
grafted onto semi-dwarf rootstock. Buy 2 trees of different varieties
to pollenation unless there are flowering crabapples in your
neighborhood or maybe your next-door neighbor has an apple tree.

Best regards,
Bob