Old 17-03-2003, 09:32 PM
jason

Default help w/ hydroponic tomatoes

I bought a simple continuous drip system, with 4 4" containers for
plants, in what looks like a home-depot plastic bin.

1. how do i support a large tomatoe plant with this? Its not like i
can stick a stake into the ground here.

2. i added nutrient. How often do i have to add more? Is there some
nutrient meter?

I want to grow big plants -- tomatoes, green peppers! Did I buy the
wrong newbie unit to start with ?

THanks
Jason Shohet
Old 18-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Anna Merchant

2. i added nutrient. How often do i have to add more? Is there some
nutrient meter?

Not sure about the first question, but as to the nutrient, hopefully it's
the same in USA as in NZ, but we use a CF Meter. This measures how strong
the solution is in your system. I keep mine at an average CF of 18-20 and it
seems to be OK for my plants. I have beans, peas, lettuce, cucumber, tomato,
and capsicum in there, and they all seem happy with that. They all like
differing CF's, but this seems a middle of the road way.

My system is built out of plastic drainpipes, the type you use coming off
guttering, and I have taped a stake to the side of the system to hold up my
tomato, and also run strings down from the roof for support for beans and
peas.

--
Anna Merchant
http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz

[IMG] code is On

Help Plants Hydroponic Nutrients allen73 Gardening 3 08-04-2012 06:53 PM
Hydroponic Help needed D-Man Gardening 1 08-09-2006 08:18 PM
Media for semi hydroponic (corrected email) Yc Orchids 0 06-01-2004 07:02 AM
Any hydroponic gardeners here? Claude Gardening 2 14-02-2003 09:27 PM
hydroponic basil speeder Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:08 PM